Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. Were working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own termsand were looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square is looking for a paralegal with relevant corporate, banking and financial institutions experience. If hired, you will help provide organizational and substantive support to the attorneys on the corporate team, will help build new systems and procedures, will work with the corporate governance team, contracts managers, operations and compliance teams. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and work on a variety of issues. As we expand our offerings, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact. A creative legal mind and a sense of adventure are all required.
- Help form Squares independent industrial loan company (ILC) bank subsidiary and related Square commitments and obligations
- Support the corporate governance legal team by coordinating requests and corporate actions between Squares parent company and its independent ILC bank subsidiary and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements
- Prepare related materials for Squares board of directors and monitor affiliate transactions
- Provide administrative support to the corporate team and help manage important transaction documents, draft corporate organizational documents and review and execute contracts
- Manage corporate records and help coordinate with the Square and ILC banking, finance and regulatory teams on several requests in connection with regulatory filings and examinations and external and internal audits
- Manage special corporate projects
- Help with the filing of registrations and similar documents with the Secretary of State and other government agencies
- Work with our internal Square and ILC banking, business, and compliance teams, and with external advisors and experts
- Assist other members of the corporate legal team with managing our domestic and international subsidiaries
- Manage projects with a team-oriented approach
- At least three (3) years of experience as a paralegal at a public banking institution or the banking group of a large law firm
- General knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations affecting industrial loan companies (or similar banking institutions), including Regulation W, FDIC rules and regulations, Consumer Finance Protection Agency, and other applicable law
- Understanding of commercial lending business and deposit products
- Project management experience
- Work with team members at all levels and help achieve corporate team goals
- Willing to work nights and weekends when necessary
- Experience working in a self-directed environment to move projects forward
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.