Zymergen is seeking to grow its Legal Department to support the needs of its growing business operations. As a Contracts and Corporate Paralegal, you will assume responsibility for a wide variety of tasks needed to support the Legal Department as a whole. You will work collaboratively with the General Counsel and other members of the Legal Department’s Corporate team, including the Senior Legal Director, Corporate Counsel, and Corporate Paralegal. You will also liaise and maintain relationships with the client groups served by the Corporate team, such as Finance, Procurement, Real Estate, HR, Business Development, and Products.
With respect to contracts, you will: support the implementation of the Legal Department’s contract lifecycle management system; manage the Legal Department’s process for the intake, review, tracking, and filing of a wide variety of contracts; and manage the receipt of and response to legal notices received by the Legal Department. With respect to your corporate responsibilities, you will: assist with equity management matters; support various corporate governance initiatives; prepare, plan, and conduct company-wide trainings; assist Legal Department attorneys in various corporate and strategic initiatives (e.g., data room management and response to due diligence inquiries); and broadly speaking, assume responsibility for continued implementation of systems, procedures, and best practices for the Legal Department. Your work will impact Zymergen’s engagement with external entities, as well as support the Company’s employees, work flows, and operations.All of your responsibilities will be under the supervision and direction of a licensed attorney supervisor.
- Be highly organized and detail-oriented
- Manage contracting work flow for the Legal Department’s Corporate team (e.g., manage the intake of contract requests; track contract negotiation and signature; file completed contracts; etc.)
- Manage contract lifecycles (e.g., collaborate with other Company departments (Finance, Business Development, Products, etc.) to manage contract deadlines, milestones, and payments and advise of upcoming expiration dates)
- As requested, support the Legal Department’s Corporate legal team on contract preparation, as well as interactions with counterparties and outside counsel
- Provide assistance on a variety of corporate governance matters (e.g., entity formation; corporate filings; investor questionnaires; etc.) and preparation for Board of Director meetings
- Assist with stock plan administration, including documentation of participant equity awards and transaction updates, and other equity matters (i.e., securities filings)
- Assist with strategic initiatives, including providing due diligence support, managing data rooms, and preparing and organizing documents
- Support the Legal Department’s Corporate team in long-term projects that improve the performance and efficiency of the Legal Department, such as template creation and updates, creation and delivery of Company-wide trainings, etc.
- Assist in special projects as requested
- Undergraduate Degree from an accredited 4-year institution
- 5+ years of experience, in-house exp preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Professionalism, integrity, good judgment and respect for confidentiality
- A flexible, can-do attitude that makes you willing (and excited!) to take on new, unfamiliar tasks
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to multitask with ease; strong project management skills
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and summarize a wide variety of legal documents
- Ability to facilitate completion of non-disclosure agreements and commercial contracts (e.g., filling in basic information, proofreading, and collecting business information for schedules/appendices);experience reviewing and drafting contracts required
- Advanced knowledge of: Microsoft Office application suite (e.g., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and equivalents (e.g., Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Drive); Adobe Acrobat; Docusign; and other common office software tools
- Experience with document management databases preferred
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.