Thomson Reuters (TR) provides intelligent information and solutions for law firms, corporations, government agencies, tax professionals, and academic institutions. The Corporate Counsel position sits within Customers and Commercials, within the TR Legal Function, and will report to the Senior Counsel.
In this role you will contribute to the success and continued growth of the Thomson Reuters business across our Legal Professional, Tax Professional, Corporate and Government segments. The Corporate Counsel role sits within the Thomson Reuters Legal Department, a highly collaborative team focused on enabling business growth and mitigating risk for the new customer-centric Thomson Reuters. To be successful in this role you should have the experience and capability to handle a broad range of legal, compliance and transactional matters.
We are currently seeking a corporate attorney with 2-3 years of experience, a proven record of client service and a practical, problem-solving approach to providing legal services in a corporate environment. The successful candidate needs to be a hands-on commercial contract lawyer with exceptional communication skills, capable of providing sound legal and business advice and counsel to sales professionals, product management, and other Thomson Reuters employees. He or she will be responsible for identifying and analyzing legal issues, drafting and negotiating documents, presenting commercially viable recommendations, and assuring legal compliance. When dealing with internal or external customers, the successful candidate will seek to enhance the customer experience and simplify the customer’s interaction with the legal function.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Review, draft, and negotiate a wide range of customer facing, vendor and partner agreements, primarily complex software (including SaaS) and information licensing agreements, re-distribution, hosting, content acquisition, consulting and professional services agreements, sourcing and outsourcing arrangements, non- disclosure agreements and other commercial agreements relating to sales of Thomson Reuters products and services.
- Provide legal and commercial advice to members of senior management on Thomson Reuters strategic business relationships.
- Provide pre-litigation advice and where required, supervise ongoing litigation.
- Coordinate matters handled by external counsel.
- Identify ways to enhance and support internal processes and procedures and work with other members of the legal team and the wider business to ensure the swift and efficient provision of legal/contract support.
- Operate within policy guidelines and requirements to ensure compliance and consistency. Work with lawyers in practice groups and business units across Thomson Reuters to provide legal support to the business.
Essential Skills and Experience Required:
- Legal experience gained either in private practice and/or as in-house corporate legal counsel operating across borders.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in drafting and negotiating relevant commercial agreements.
- Strong negotiating and communication skills – ability to negotiate with senior lawyers both in house and in private practice.
- Strong inter personal skills. Demonstrates people leadership skills for colleagues and business stakeholders.
- Effectively execute legal strategy for the business and contribute to the development of the wider legal strategy.
- Participates in internal and external professional networks, sharing and leveraging insights in work
- Act as a trusted advisor to members of the Senior Leadership team in the business, providing strategic legal advice and communicating complex ideas in simple terms.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively in a wide range of legal disciplines and regulatory areas, support and lead M&A activity where appropriate.
- Excellent communication, organisational and analytical skills, and an aptitude for problem-solving
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with multiple matters, stakeholders and interests and prioritize accordingly.
- Ability to successfully work in a complex, global, matrixed organisation and to work well as a team member and build rapport and trust with both internal and external clients.
- Ability to effectively and pragmatically manage risks while maximizing commercial opportunities.
- Ability to learn new skills and to adapt to changing business compliance needs.
- A Juris Doctor degree from a recognized law school.
- Licensed to practice law.
- Two to five years’ experience with commercial law in a corporate or law firm setting; with strong legal experience drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Extensive knowledge gained through prior legal experience.
- Demonstrated experience in general corporate matters.
- Strong teaming capabilities and the ability to operate independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent communication, organization, and analytical skills, and an aptitude for problem-solving.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, to identify and resolve legal issues, desire and ability to quickly learn about Thomson Reuters’ products and services and its internal processes and organizational structure.
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment and in a matrixed organization and ability to build rapport and trust with both internal and external stakeholders and successfully balance customer interests while maintaining a good legal and fiscal position for the company.
- Ability to manage multiple matters at once and work independently in a fast-paced environment and prioritize accordingly. Ability to exercise good judgment on when to seek help and where to find appropriate resources to solve problems.
- Exceptional interpersonal, negotiation, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid experience drafting a variety of legal documents such as software licenses, confidentiality agreements, reseller agreements, settlement agreements, joint ventures and other commercial agreements.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, and strong attention to detail
Why is Thomson Reuters a great place for me to work?
Each of us brings a unique perspective to our work. That perspective is shaped by where we live, the business we advance, and the decisions we influence. But true impact isn't something any of us achieves alone. It's only possible when ideas connect and talents are shared. Together, the power of our perspectives will move the world.
What are Thomson Reuters core values?
Trust: We act with integrity and independence by holding ourselves and each other to be ethical and reliable in all we do.
Partnership: We work together, with each other, with our customers and with industry partners to deliver superior results and experiences.
Innovation: We innovate to serve our customers, drive our growth and win in dynamic business environments.
Performance: We deliver results, excelling at work that positively impacts the world.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Carrollton-Texas-United States of America