Responsible for the overall management of the Enterprise tax function for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and it’s several subsidiaries, including Emergent Holding entities. Oversees the accurate and timely tax filings according to statutory requirements and provides consultation and expertise on tax compliance and strategies to enhance the overall tax position of the enterprise.
- Oversee annual expenses for federal, state, and local income tax compliance, including several with multi-state operations and multi-state by ownership in joint ventures, partnerships, and limited liability companies.
- Provide oversight on tax compliance for a non-profit 501c4 HMO, a Captive Insurance Company, intercompany agreements, reinsurance and other arrangements that have tax-transfer pricing considerations, premium tax returns, claims tax returns, sales and use tax, property tax and Affordable Care Act taxes.
- Ensure the tax function provides timely, quality and innovative income tax consulting services to the Enterprise on all matters, as well as information reporting, sales and use tax, and personal property tax issues.
- Manage the preparation of the annual GAAP provision for the Enterprise’s income taxes, as well as monthly tax entries and tax projections.
- Monitor and forecast federal, state and other tax obligations and advise the company on strategies to effectively manage tax liabilities and expense.
- Oversee and manage the integration of tax into internal and external business operations and agreements with proactive communications to ensure tax compliance and enhance the company’s strategic tax position.
- Manage the preparation of the provision for income taxes under statutory insurance accounting rules for several insurance company quarterly and annual financials as well as all disclosures and reconciliations.
- Collaborate with and advise the Enterprise’s Government Affairs team on the effects of federal, state, and local current and proposed tax legislation.
- Support the Enterprises’ CFO, Chief Legal Counsel, Corporate Business Development and Strategy team on tax issues associated with mergers, acquisitions, investments, and divestitures.
- Advise the Enterprise on the tax implications of significant business transactions.
- Manage all federal, state, and local tax audits, in addition to any resulting controversies to their conclusion.
- Oversee FIN 48 and Uncertain Tax Positions (UTP) analysis.
- Work closely with independent auditors.
- Manage the tax department staff and administrative expense budget.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or related field required. Master's Degree in Taxation or MBA preferred.
- Ten (10) or more years of experience handling complex, broad based federal and state tax compliance, provision, planning and analysis issues within a large organization and/or Big 4 accounting firm; Health Insurance Company (e.g. Blue Cross Blue Shield) experience preferred.
- Five (5) years of experience in a direct leadership/management role.
- Certification (CPA) preferred.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) including tax accounting under ASC 740 and Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP).
- Significant knowledge of insurance company taxation principles; health insurance preferred.
- Proven experience in both tax operations (compliance and reporting) and tax consulting/planning (transactional and day to day).
- Demonstrated ability to staff and manage multiple engagements in an efficient and effective manner.
- Strong track record of positive impacts to an organization’s financials through the implementation of carefully considered tax planning strategies.
- Strong analytically-driven technical tax skillset including the use of tax provision software, compliance and tax law research (software, analysis interpretation and application).
- Ability to balance decisiveness and consensus; highly collaborative, curious, and creative.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively at all levels of an organization, both internally and externally.
- A record of confident leadership, sound judgment, creativity, and commitment to achieving excellence.
- Clear stature of and gravitas to win the confidence of professionals around the firm and in the department.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other grounds, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.