Counsel (Ad Sales) - Temporary
Group Nine Media is looking for an attorney to join the Legal and Business Affairs team on a part-time basis for a 4-6 month period. The position has the potential to become a full-time and/or permanent role depending on the needs of the company. The attorney will be responsible for advising on legal matters for the company, and building relationships with key stakeholders across the company. The ideal candidate is someone who can work effectively across multiple disciplines on both legal and business matters in a fast-paced environment, and who is passionate about the media and entertainment industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as dedicated temporary legal support for the company’s Ad Sales team, advising on a variety of matters, including the development and execution of advertising campaigns; data collection and security practices; the development, production, and distribution of branded content; experiential/events programming; client relationship management; ad campaign data insights and analytics; and ads policy.
- Draft (sometimes from scratch), negotiate, and review advertising insertion orders, sales partnership agreements, custom content agreements, and other agreements related to the company’s ad sales business.
- Drive strong relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Build policies and workflows to support an efficient and robust ads program.
- Advise on new areas of development and growth, including engaging new advertising and research partners and new advertising products.
- Communicate regularly with and train clients on applicable legal process and policies.
- Manage administration and resolution of legal issues that arise in existing commercial relationships.
- Help maintain Legal and Business Affairs Team infrastructure, company records, and internal systems.
- Stay up-to-date and keep key business partners informed about changes to existing policies, laws, and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- JD degree, admission to one or more state Bars (must be in good standing, and if not admitted in New York, must be willing to register as in-house counsel in New York), at least 2 years of relevant work experience (in-house experience at a digital media company preferred).
- Basic understanding of the transactions and legal issues that arise at a digital media company, including content production and distribution deals, online advertising compliance, data management and security, commercial real estate transactions, and personnel management.
- Experience and confidence independently drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on tight deadlines while remaining organized, composed, and thoughtful.
- Strong sense of urgency and people management skills.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and understanding of relevant technology, including various digital distribution channels, content development systems, and advertising platforms. Willingness to adopt new tools and systems.
- Strong interest in the business and desire to work within a multidisciplinary team.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, and tea. Who needs anything else?
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine’s mission is to tell great stories that spark action and make a real difference. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, July 2019], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen, July 2019]. Audiences spend nearly 50 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; POPSUGAR, the leading digital lifestyle brand for women; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lion, Critic’s Choice, among others.
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.