Sierra High School
For 2019-2020 School Year
189 work day calendar
- The School Counselor helps students overcome problems that impede learning and assists each student in making educational, occupational, and life plans that hold promise for his/her personal fulfillment as mature and responsible men and women.
- The Counselor is responsible for providing an appropriate guidance program that will produce student knowledge, skills, and attitudes in the educational, career, and personal domains.
- The Counselor orients students to their school environment and to the systems and people with whom they have contact.
- Assesses student knowledge, skills, and attitudes to determine the areas in which the student needs assistance.
- Provide appropriate group and/or individual counseling as necessary for students to achieve program goals and demonstrate competencies.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Essential functions:
- Create an engaging classroom environment favorable to student learning and personal growth.
- Motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed for college and career readiness.
- Communicate clearly in verbal and written formats with students, parents, and teammates.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials to meet the needs of students.
- Translate lesson plans into learning experiences to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Supervise students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned work day.
- Administer standardized tests in accordance with district testing protocol.
- Criminal background check and District fingerprinting required.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Possess or be eligible for Colorado Special Services License with School Counselor Endorsement.
- Master's Degree in Counseling.
- Completion of a School Counseling program.
- Prior School Counseling experience preferred.
- Experience as a classroom teacher preferred.
- Transcripts required.
Note:Each college transcript shall be authentic, original or photocopy, bearing the embossed seal of the institution, the signature of the registrar, and including descriptive titles, course numbers, credits, and grades for each course listed and degrees earned, if any. For the purpose of these Rules, credits shall be in semester hours or may be interpreted as meaning the equivalent in quarter, trimester, unit or term.
Must apply online at www.hsd2.org and set up application file. Once you have completed your file, you must apply for each vacancy from the website that is of interest to you to be considered a candidate.