The position of CRE Underwriter II is responsible for soliciting, negotiating, underwriting and coordinating the closing of major and complex commercial real estate, commercial building and business loans in compliance with the Bank’s lending policies and procedures; develops business checking and deposit relationships with customers; and promotes business for the Bank by maintaining good customer relations and referring customers to appropriate staff for new services.
The position of CRE Underwriter II may be responsible for assisting the Regional President in managing his or her full service branch along with other branches within the region; may assist the Chief Lending Officer as required of the position; provides training and guidance to less experienced underwriters and other staff members; coordinates staff for coverage in all related areas of lending; assists in attaining established Bank, region and branch goals through active participation in sales management and officer call programs, and provides leadership, training and support to less experienced underwriters and other staff members.
- Engages in business development activities and solicitation of new business; actively involved in instilling and maintaining a positive sales environment through education of the Bank’s products and services.
- Interviews prospective applicants and requests specified information related to loan or credit application; corresponds or re-interviews applicants to resolve questions regarding application information.
- Performs pre-qualification assessment and analysis of financial condition and risk of financing requests within framework of Bank credit culture and current economic and industry trends.
- Gathers and analyzes all information necessary to present a financing request to senior management or Loan Committee for approval; meets with existing or potential customers; visiting sites of loans; negotiates loan terms and conditions; approves loans within established lending limits or refers and recommends acceptance to the Chief Credit Officer, Regional President or Loan Committee.
- Coordinates processing of approved loans; ensures loans are processed according to agreement, customer needs and conform to Bank lending policies; obtains sufficient information and/or documentation from customers; solves problems relative to processing and servicing of loans within his or her portfolio; approves loan disbursements in accordance with agreements.
- Ensures that credit inquires and UCC filings are researched to determine credit worthiness and appropriate collateral positioning are achieved.
- Ensures that certification or deletion of collateral is made by the appropriate personnel.
- Negotiates, underwrites and processes renewals of credit facilities.
- Approves loan payments, draws from lines of credit, and fund transfers within specified limits.
- Authorizes commitment, engagement, action, and decline letters.
- Contributes to the overall profitability of the branch and region; implements costs controls, income generation, and branch and region marketing efforts; monitors expenses to ensure compliance with budget.
- Reinforces the application of superior customer service through his or her own example along with appropriate follow through with involved customers and employees.
- Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability, demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
- Assists in the development and growth of the branch and region lending staff through excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, along with strong delegation skills assuring a highly cross-trained staff.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of financial industry, economy, market conditions, rates, vendors and competition.
- Represents the Bank in various, civic, community development, and CRA functions to further enhance the Bank’s image and develop additional business; assists the Bank in establishing and maintaining market position in the financing arena.
- Reviews NSF and overdraft reports for customers assigned within his or her portfolio; approves or declines such exceptions within established lending limits.
- Provides deposit and loan account ratings.
- Cross-sells the Bank’s other products and services, referring customers to appropriate staff as indicated.
- Updates and corresponds with legal counsel and collectors on workouts, bankruptcies, and charge-offs to ensure all possible precautionary actions or measures are taken.
- Directly responsible in meeting annual deposit and loan growth goals assigned by senior management.
- Provides leadership and training to less experienced loan officers and other staff members.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all records and data received and produced
- Participates with senior management with developing, analyzing and finalizing major and complex loan agreements with representatives of large businesses; participates in various internal committees assigned by senior management.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA) or equivalent from a four (4) year college or university
- Seven (7) years or more of Commercial Credit, Underwriting and Loan Origination experience including the soliciting, negotiating, underwriting and closing of commercial Loans
- Advanced knowledge of related state and federal lending and compliance regulations.