Ecology Action is passionately driven to empower individuals, businesses, and communities to take actions today that achieve environmental and economic sustainability. Located in our LEED Gold-rated Green Headquarters in downtown Santa Cruz, Ecology Action is an established and trusted non-profit organization delivering high quality environmental programs for over 40 years.
We've become California's thought-leader when it comes to sustainability program design and have helped over 20,000 California residents and business owners save millions of gallons of water and reduce energy consumption by half a million-kilowatt hours each year. Locally, we've inspired over ten thousand students and adults to bike to school or their place of work twice a year.
We're looking for an experienced creative leader who loves to stay close to the work. You're someone who's equally comfortable leading a concepting session for a series of video case studies, critiquing creative deliverables or refining our brand pitch and presenting at the company All Hands.
We need someone who loves the challenge of creating great work within a fast-paced, ever-evolving environmental startup. You know what it takes to keep a team inspired and motivated in their work, and able to see how their individual contributions connect to the bigger picture -- the company, and beyond to our customers. You know that our brand success hinges upon the success of the team, and you're passionate and proactive about encouraging them, coaching them, offering critical yet constructive feedback, and leading from behind (and occasionally from out front).
As a Creative Director at Ecology Action, you are a visionary design leader that brings creative expertise, inspiration and thought leadership to all design disciplines. The successful candidate will provide a holistic vision for Ecology Action's branding, bringing a consistent, irresistible look and feel across all platforms, with the creative ability to transform fresh ideas into actionable concepts.
Ultimately, we are looking for an accomplished creative mind and seasoned leader.
- You'll partner with the VP Marketing and other executive leaders to create a holistic brand vision and strategy and develop new tactics to help us achieve it.
- You'll inspire the team to deliver consistently high-quality work, across mediums, for all of our most important projects.
- You'll be responsible for creating an environment where constructive critique is welcomed, but where psychological safety and creative openness is maintained.
- You'll push forward our brand and highlight the culture that makes Ecology Action one of the best places to work.
- You'll set the creative standards and design objectives so that the entire organization understands them and how to follow them.
- You'll provide daily design direction on multiple high-profile, active projects.
- On occasion, you'll be an active, daily 'creator' of work not just an overseer of it.
- You understand how to effectively delegate specific tasks or projects to the production team or vendors to make sure the work is done well and on time.
- You'll lead in the creation of best-in-class user experiences that provide a consistent brand experience for our customers, clients and partners.
- You'll collaborate with marketing managers and field development teams to establish compelling, effective and on-brand campaign concepts.
- You possess mastery of all the latest design tools, platforms and versions of applicable software programs Mac OS, Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and others.
- You resolve complex design issues with grace, innovation and practical solutions.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have a unique combination of,(a) a joie de vivre and passion for visual storytelling and graphic design,(b) a strong, boot-strapping and entrepreneurial spirit that wants to build a fantastic team and smart infrastructure from scratch and(d) a love of people that's supported by great management skills.
Specifically, you must have:
- Minimum of 3 years of Creative Director-level experience at an agency or in-house.
- Minimum of 8 years in total of experience in design, copywriting, or art direction.
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to explain your creative vision, inspire others, but also solicit and listen to feedback.
- You love developing cohesive and scalable creative strategies that can play out across numerous channels and mediums.
- You display a human-centered approach to design that's inquisitive, strategic and empathetic.
- You lead with passion and vision, and you can energize others to deliver excellent results while keeping them happy and engaged.
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates strategic thinking, creativity, vision, and masterful storytelling.
- Superb attention to craft details across many disciplines writing, design, video, art direction, motion, etc.
- Reliable self-starter who can provide leadership to multiple projects with minimal oversight.
- Can push the team to explore new thinking and expand new interpretations of the brand expression to meet ever-changing company demands.
- Friendly, supportive and collaborative. This is a strength-in-numbers kind of team; we make each other better.
- Bachelor's degree (Fine Arts, Graphic Design, or Media Arts preferred)
- Proven mentoring, supervisory, and team-building skills.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, talk and hear, and use a computer keyboard and monitor. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment:The work environment is an office setting.
Compensation:Ecology Action offers a competitive salary and a generous benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision and flexible spending benefits; a 401k-retirement plan with a 4% match; and group life insurance. Driving an insured personal vehicle on company business is required, and mileage reimbursement is provided at the Federal rate.
Ecology Action believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success and should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. This position description outlines primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but is not intended to be a comprehensive description of job responsibilities. We expect each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
More About Us
Ecology Action is an award-winning non-profit consultancy that provides innovative solutions to the energy, water, and transportation challenges of cities, governments, and utilities across California. We have four decades of experience helping people make simple yet profound changes that have big environmental impact. We believe that when individuals and businesses make simple changes in their behavior they drive large scale changes that benefit people and the planet. This translates into reduced carbon emissions, stronger businesses, healthier communities and a sustainable future for all. Together, we help people, businesses and communities act now.
Ecology Action believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success and should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. This position description outlines primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but is not intended to be a comprehensive description of job responsibilities. We expect each employee to offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Ecology Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in its workforce. Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as an employee for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Ecology Action does not offer a company paid relocation program.