This position requires 2 hours of work per day.
• Reports at specified times to assigned location and stands at school crossing to control the flow of
traffic and pedestrians in order to maintain safety.
• Employs approved methods and procedures necessary to encourage and enforce order
among children crossing at that point and to control vehicular traffic.
This is light work and requires standing and moving about for prolonged periods of time. Position requires hearing to accurately perceive information at normal spoken word levels. Visual acuity is required in the performance of duties assigned. Worker is subject to activities with no effective protection from weather changes or atmospheric conditions. Requires that incumbent utilize safety equipment.
Eighth grade education and have some previous experience in dealing with people. Prior experience as a School Crossing Guard and knowledge of procedures and practices in school crossing is desired.
• Ability to maintain discipline and order among young children of elementary through high school
ages in a tactful and courteous manner.
• Ability to employ prescribed methods of traffic control, including markers, hand signals, whistle, etc.
as necessary to assure children’s safety and well-being.
• Ability to work hours that coincide with daily opening and closing of the particular school(s) serviced
by the assigned crossing, or as scheduled by the supervisor.