Work under minimal supervision to assist children and others to safely cross the street at assigned intersections during designated hours.
Basic knowledge of traffic safety regulations
Ability to identify and respond quickly to traffic safety hazards
Ability to communicate instructions effectively to both children and adults
Ability to read, understand, and follow written instructions
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Assist children and other community members to safely cross the street at assigned intersections during designated hours.
2. Identify potential traffic safety hazards and respond quickly to protect children and avoid incidents.
3. Ensure a smooth and expedient flow of both vehicular and foot traffic.
4. Follow and uphold district safety requirements and report traffic violations and student misconduct in accordance with district procedures.
5. Communicate safety and traffic rules to students and parents as needed.
6. Correct unsafe conditions when possible and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor as soon as practicable.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Handheld traffic signs, traffic cones, reflective safety attire
Posture: Prolonged standing
Motion: Constant walking, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, reaching
Lifting: Light lifting (under 15 pounds)
Environment: Work outside (prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures, sunlight, and humidity); constant exposure to noise and vehicle exhaust; work around moving vehicles and on slippery and uneven surfaces
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under pressure; work with frequent interruption; may work alone