Curriculum Director, Bender ECC
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
The Bender Early Childhood Center is a large, Reggio-inspired preschool of almost 200 students. We are about 13 years into our journey and seeking an experienced and knowledgeable educator to be our next Pedagogista. With some teachers who have been on the journey with our school for more than a decade, and others new to the approach, we seek someone with deep knowledge and the ability to break down our approach to make it accessible to all. The right candidate is flexible and a team player, and as eager to continue their own learning as to help others to advance theirs. Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter.
Work in conjunction with the ECC Leadership Team to direct and oversee the educational content and culture of the Bender JCC Early Childhood Center, making certain that it reflects the values and philosophy of the preschool. Work with and support the teachers in the implementation of the curriculum, with a commitment to teacher professional development and fulfillment of Maryland State Licensing requirements.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Understand the philosophy of the Reggio Emilia-inspired approach
- Oversee development and implementation of curriculum to support overall vision and mission of the school
- Coach and mentor staff in order to help develop their teaching practice
- Develop Mentor Teacher program and supervise mentor teachers
- Oversee curricular development, including enhancement and approval of class lesson plans
- Ensure that teachers are working closely with the Developmental Support Coordinator in order to address the needs of different learners
- Provide staff with current pedagogical resources
- Coordinate with the ECC Leadership Team to facilitate Preschool Staff Meetings/In-Service Staff Trainings
- Conduct classroom observations and give feedback to staff
- Work with Developmental Support Coordinator to support teacher planning/assessment/parent-teacher conferences and review reports in preparation for conferences
- Advise on selection of instructional supplies and equipment
- Promote positive staff morale
- Help to organize holiday and special events
- Communicate and educate parents on topics related to curriculum
- Give information and tours to perspective parents when needed
- Help to update staff/parent handbooks as needed
- Access resources within the Bender JCC and outside the preschool to enhance the preschool program
- Stay abreast of current and emerging research related to best practice in Early Childhood Education, including participation in DC Reggio Emila Alliance monthly meetings
- Support Jewish culture and content in the classroom Support and participate in the Maryland State Department of Education licensing requirements
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Must be physically present to perform essential job functions
- Ability to move around the classroom for long periods of time, including sitting on the floor or in child-sized chairs
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 30lbs
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Support Bender JCC commitment to inclusion through coordinated work with the Director, Assistant Director, the Developmental Support Coordinator and the teachers.
- Work closely with the Early Childhood Parent Committee to create a positive connection to the greater parent community and to the work of the preschool.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Early Childhood Education or related field
- 5 years experience teaching in the field
- 3 years experience teaching in a Reggio-Inspired preschool
- 2 years experience teaching teachers of Early Childhood
- Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Bender Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington
- Knowledge of, and abiding by, the rules and regulations of the Bender Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, including its Personnel Handbook
- Work together with staff to create a team environment of creativity, support, a strong work ethic and commitment to the organization
- Communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.