Job Title: Custodian
Reports To: Local Facilities Supervisor
Prepared By: Personnel Office
Prepared Date: 2020
Approved By: Cabinet
Approved Date: 2020
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT
12 month contract.
Salary as determined by the administrative salary schedule approved by the GUHSD Governing Board.
Keeps school buildings and campus areas in clean and orderly condition by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintains punctual and regular attendance.
- Displays appropriate appearance.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, and vacuums hallways, restrooms, and classroom and office space, as appropriate. Replaces bulbs in classroom lights as needed.
- Empties classroom and office trash containers.
- Notifies supervisor concerning need for major repairs to lightning, heating, and ventilation equipment.
- Cleans debris from sidewalks, parking lots and campus areas.
- Records, documents and removes any and all graffiti from campus.
- Sets up and tears down necessary equipment, supplies and resources for school-sponsored special events.
- Demonstrates effective communication with students, staff and administration. Provides appropriate attention to staff and student needs. Works effectively with departmental co-workers.
- Must be able to read and understand material safety data sheets.
- May be required to perform bus driving responsibilities.
- Performs other duties as directed by the local Facilities Supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Employment/educational history which reflects regular and punctual attendance. Ability to relate cordially with people. Ability to work without immediate supervision. Sound physical health. Ability to perform custodial skills required by the district. May be required to become state certified and possess the ability to drive a school bus. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent may find appropriate and acceptable.
Ability to read a limited number of two- and three- syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to print and speak simple sentences.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Commercial Driver’s License/ eligibility to obtain a CDL preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch , crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift, and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to operate floor cleaning equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with the Governing Board policy on evaluation of administrative personnel.