Clean and perform routine housekeeping and maintenance of campus buildings, including residence halls, classrooms, and administrative offices. Serve as a team leader for a small crew of custodial/housekeeping staff, and/or coordinate/carry out a specialized custodial/maintenance function. Function as a Lead in the absence of the supervisor. Responsible for overseeing the department's role in the conference/event activities.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the cleaning and general upkeep of assigned college buildings such as residence halls, offices, classrooms, meeting rooms, kitchens, laundry rooms etc. Duties include cleaning floors and stairwells by vacuuming, sweeping, dust moping, washing, striping, waxing and buffing etc. Wash and clean items such as windows, walls, chalkboards, trash cans, furniture, appliances etc. Dust furniture, fixtures, woodwork, blinds, drapes etc. Clean, maintain and stock bathrooms including changing and cleaning shower curtains. Water plants, hang pictures and perform other task related to the general appearance and upkeep of the building or area.
- Perform routine maintenance on plumbing, electrical, heating and ventilating systems. Examples include the cleaning and minor repairing of air vents and drains, plunging toilets, replacing light bulbs, etc.
- Empty trash/recycle receptacles, move trash and recyclables, pick up, distribute and store supplies, pick up litter in and around buildings, remove snow and salt around building entrances.
- Move furniture, appliances and other items such as tables, chairs, desk, beds, mattresses, dressers, stoves, refrigerators, and other items. May need to arrange items in residence halls, classrooms, offices, meeting rooms etc.
- Serve as a team leader and resource for a small crew of custodial/housekeeping staff. In the absence of the Custodian/Housekeeper Supervisor, serve as the Lead for department. Train new employees; issue daily work assignments; monitor work in progress and check completed work; assist staff with problems or unusual situations; handle minor personnel problems; report significant personnel problems to Custodial/Housekeeping Supervisor.
- Coordinate and carry out a specialized custodial/maintenance function, such as refinishing floors and shampooing carpets, minor painting, as capable repair and maintain equipment such as vacuums and other equipment. Perform special swimming pool related maintenance tasks including vacuuming, cleaning pool and related areas, chemical regulation, backwashing and the like. Keep athletic areas and locker rooms clean. Do gym/sport equipment set-up and take-down.
- Contribute to a clean and safe work environment by using appropriate cleaning/safety procedures, equipment and supplies.Exposure to cleaning/workplace chemicals, body fluids and other workplace hazards. Perform regular quality control inspections, preventive maintenance; report facility problems and deficiencies.
- Conference/Event duties include extensive contact with Conference Coordinator, daily depending on the level of activity. Audio visual equipment set-up and troubleshooting as needed. Make sure plans for activities are followed. Oversee Custodian/housekeeping staff as needed and make sure that the clean and set-up functions are carries out and done according to schedule and instructions. Keep supervisor informed of problems and request assistance as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
High school education desirable. One to two years of relevant commercial/institutional custodial experience.
- Physical ability to do heavy custodial work and lift 50 pounds.
- Good basic supervisory skills.
- A valid driver's license is required.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled or by date specified. However, applications received after the initial screening will be considered at the discretion of the College.
Vermont Tech strongly encourages applications from members of ethnic minority groups and other under-represented backgrounds. Vermont Tech is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of the Vermont State Colleges system. In compliance with ADA requirements, we will make reasonable accommodations for the known disability of an otherwise qualified applicant.
NOTE: This job is subject to a fingerprint-supported criminal background check and pre-employment physical. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the satisfactory results of this check.
VSCSF Bargaining Unit Grade: 6 FLSA: Non-exempt Full-time, Tuesday-Saturday, 6:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.