Title: Custodian IV - Building Operator
Reports To: Building Principal and/or Maintenance Supervisor - Custodial Operations
Position Purpose: To provide all students with a physical learning environment that is safe, clean, attractive, pleasant, and smooth-functioning.
1. High school graduate or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
2. Good knowledge of custodial methods, materials, and equipment (Auto-scrubber, burnisher,
floor machine, high and low speed buffer, extractor, carpet machine, etc.), and ability to use
them economically and efficiently.
3. Extensive janitorial experience and some experience as a semi-skilled handyman.
4. Ability to plan, assign duties, and supervise custodial personnel while demonstrating and
promoting team building skills.
5. Ability to understand dilution ratios.
6. Must possess basic computer skills and ability to apply skills in day-to-day operations.
7. Knowledge of occupational hazards, safety precautions, hazardous materials, and proper ways to perform the assigned duty.
8. Ability to understand and follow simple verbal and written directions.
9. Ability to perform work independently according to prescribed standards and procedures with a minimum of supervision.
10. Ability to train, motivate, and work effectively with school personnel.
11. Ability to work in varied weather and temperature conditions.
12. Dependability and the ability to get along with others.
Physical/Emotional Requirements: (The incumbent may be required to use the following skills and abilities during any part of the working day.) Reading, speaking, hearing, manual dexterity, bending/ stooping, walking, reaching, pushing/pulling, climbing, kneeling. Position is rated as a Level 4 - lifting/carrying 50-100 lbs occasionally, 25-50 lbs frequently, and 10-20 lbs continuously. Individuals employed at the high school and middle school level are eligible for employment if a score of 3 or 4 is accompished on the physical capacity test. Individuals scoring a 3 are limited to Level 3 medium work unless assisted - 20-50 lbs lifting/carrying occasionally, 10-25 lbs frequently and up to 10 lbs continuously. Failure to comply with physical limits established by physical capacity test will result in disciplinary action for unsafe practice.
This physical requirement revision was requested and approved by the Worker Compensation Committee on 11-17-15.
Elementary custodians will be required to meet the Level 4 lifting requirement.
1. Report to the Building Principal to receive each day's assignments.
2. Supervise all Custodian III, Custodian II, and Custodian I personnel in the planning and
performance of their day-to-day assignments.
3. Work with Building Principal in evaluating performance of Custodian III, Custodian II, and
Custodian I personnel.
4. Accomplish tasks in a safe and efficient manner, such as sweeping, scrubbing, mopping,
vacuuming, dusting, waxing, polishing, cleaning restrooms and water fountains, washing
windows and walls, etc.
5. Raise the United States, Kansas, and school flags before each school day, and lower flags and put away at the end of each school day.
6. Keep building and premises (including sidewalks, driveways, and play areas) neat, clean, and free from rubbish at all times.
7. Empty all exterior and interior waste receptacles and place in dumpster.
8. Clean all windows and glass surfaces as necessary.
9. Clean classrooms daily and dust furniture and woodwork.
10. Wipe down walls, restroom partitions, baseboards, dispensers, chrome surfaces, etc. as
11. Clean corridors during/after school each day as required.
12. Scrub, mop, and disinfect toilets and restroom floors daily, and clean all sanitary fixtures and drinking fountains daily.
13. Keep all floors preserved and in a clean condition.
14. Move furniture/equipment within buildings as required for various activities as directed by the Building Principal.
15. Perform routine janitorial duties as required.
16. Make minor building repairs and replace light bulbs as necessary.
17. Shovel, plow, and/or sand walks and steps as appropriate.
18. Keep an inventory of janitorial supplies and equipment; order additional supplies as necessary with approval of Building Principal.
19. Periodically inspect all air filters throughout building and replace as necessary.
20. Conduct regular inspections and test all emergency lighting, electrical, and fire prevention
systems according to District policy.
21. Remain on school premises during school hours and non-school hours, when the use of the building has been authorized and attendance is required by the Building Principal.
22. Report major repair needs promptly to the Building Principal and/or Building Operator.
23. Report any damage and/or vandalism immediately to the Building Principal.
24. Determine, before leaving, that all doors and windows are secured, security systems activated, and all lights are turned off.
25. Comply with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash, rubbish, and waste.
26. Follow proper safety procedures and use necessary personal safety supplies and/or equipment in carrying out day-to-day assignments.
27. Must attend training sessions each year in accordance with District policy.
28. Cooperate with local and state inspectors involved in health, fire, and safety.
29. Demonstrate a professional image through appearance, language, and work ethic.
Term of Employment: Twelve (12) months.
Evaluation: Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with
provisions of the Board policy on evaluation of Classified Personnel.
Significant Associations: The performance responsibilities are not limited to those outlined in this description and may include any other responsibilities as assigned by the administrator/supervisor.