| Reports to: ||Facilities/Operations Manager |
|Provide support for the senior building custodian(s) and perform a variety of tasks including cleaning, maintenance and general care of the building and grounds. Primary responsibility is to ensure students and staff have a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean and efficient place in which to learn, play, work and develop. |
| REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: |
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Must possess good organizational skills
• Knowledge of safe and proper cleaning methods and proper product usage
• Knowledge of minor maintenance activities as they relate to HVAC, electricity, plumbing, general carpentry and repair
• Initiative - to step forward and take a comprehensive role for areas of responsibility without waiting for direction
• Integrity - display personal and professional integrity in the performance of duties
• Flexible - able to work under pressure and adapt to last minute staff changes and school needs
• Diplomacy - able to calmly assist students, staff, administration, parents, and community users of building at all times
• Recognize that the school exists to serve those who use it
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES (not limited to):
- Manage overall work schedules as assigned by senior custodian.
- Perform all duties and maintain a high standard of safety, cleanliness and efficiency
- Responsible for cleaning and light maintenance in interior and limited exterior of building: dust and clean classrooms and offices, wash walls and woodwork, wash glass, sweep, mop, scrub and wax floors (requires frequent pushing/pulling), shampoo and vacuum carpets, and wash and sanitize bathroom fixtures and replenish supplies, empty trash (including lifting a 50lb. trash barrel overhead), lifting cases of copy paper and other school supplies, pick trash from floor, lift and carry buckets of water and bags of ice melt (up to 50 lbs.)
- Effectively communicate with various school system and city department staff, other building custodial personnel and school community members. It is extremely important to have very strong interpersonal skills, an even disposition, and a strong desire to fully satisfy the needs of teachers, students, and parent groups.
- Maintain and manage a reasonable inventory of supplies and materials in assigned area.
- Routinely inspect, service and troubleshoots all custodial equipment.
- Maintains security and safety of building as outlined by Principal.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with the users of the building, particularly school administration, and maintain high visibility to and availability for students and staff. When necessary shall assume an active role to ensure a safe, well-maintained, and healthy environment is provided for all users of the building. It is important to be approachable and present and maintain a positive attitude.
- If there is doubt or questions arise about responsibilities, duties, supervision, or anything that needs clarification, the matter(s) should be brought to the attention of senior building custodian, school administration or Support Services as soon as possible.
- Responsbile for implementing "other job related duties" as assigned by the supervisor.
- Consistent and on-time attendance is required.
- Appropriately respond to feedback on all matters pertaining to custodial services and maintenance issues. Is expected to provide regular building status reports to senior building custodian.
- Must view himself/herself as part of the school. Must understand and value the goal and mission of the school and to work in full partnership with everyone in the school, recognizing the value of his/her position in helping the school accomplish its mission.
- Other duties as needed
Work Environment & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
| Work Environment: Work is performed in a school environment. |
Required to stand for prolonged periods; frequently required to push, pull, twist, bend, crouch, squat, climb, reach, lift and carry up to 50 lbs. (including lifting 50 lb. trash barrels overhead), sometimes required to move heavy objects such as furniture or equipment; required to operate power equipment such as buffers and scrubbers; may need to take precautions to avoid exposure to cleaning and stripping compounds and fumes; exposed to noise from power equipment; positions occasionally performing grounds maintenance may require periodically working outdoors in inclement weather; potentially exposed to ordinary diseases carried by students; may need to take precautions to avoid exposure to student bodily fluids; may be required to be on call to return to work off hours for emergencies; may need to take precautions when inspecting cause of fire alarms; may deal with distraught or difficult individuals.
This description is not meant to be all inclusive and the Building Custodian shall be expected to perform or oversee any other functions normally and reasonably expected of such an individual.