Job Title: Technical Support Engineer
This Technical Support Engineer (TSE) role at Juniper Networks is responsible for providing high-level expertise/support on Juniper's proprietary products. These products are used to switch/route traffic to or from our customers' networks, and the TSE will assist in this work for branch networks, enterprise networks, data centers and cloud providers around the globe. This work will require the TSE to diagnose the problem and provide hardware and software technical support, including configuration assistance and troubleshooting of mentioned products and other peripheral systems including networking equipment and servers for timely resolution of issues.
Responsibilities and Technologies Utilized:
- Provide high-quality hardware and software technical support for switching products via email and telephone communication (25%):
- Support Juniper's EX and QFX products which are used to switch/route in Branch Networks, Enterprise Networks, Data Centers, and Cloud Providers.
- Leverage hands-on technical experience for complicated customer network issues which requires deep and solid knowledge of not only how networking protocols work, but also, more importantly, how the traffic flows inside the Juniper products, from one ASIC to another, from one software module to another in Juniper's Packet Forwarding Engine.
- Identify root cause of problem and assign to relevant category: incorrect/inefficient device configuration; software bug in the Junos operating system; hardware bug; resource scarcity due to scaled configuration; suboptimal configuration causing unwarranted resource scarcity; or faulty device hardware.
- Provide expert level assistance to resolve complicated network issues by recommending: rectification of device configuration; application of software fix; hardware replacement; hardware or software upgrade/downgrade; or application of optimal configuration.
- Act as escalation point for level 1 & level 2 technical support teams. Help and guide level 1 and level 2 technical support team members with their technical queries.
- Handle high priority/sensitive customer issues and ensure prompt service restoration and resolution to the customer's satisfaction, using a systemic problem solving approach (20%):
- Work with Juniper's customers to analyze the problems and resolve the immediate problem through careful analysis of the performance of Juniper's products in the customer's network, as well as any pending issues with other vendor's products.
- Engage the escalation team, which consists of subject matters experts for each type of problem, to seek their input regarding the next troubleshooting steps to resolve the customer issue in an expeditious manner.
- Once the customers' network is functional, the TSE will then identify the root cause for these problems and provide ongoing solutions and recommendations. This requires solid and comprehensive understanding of how each Juniper product works, including how protocols work in the customer's network.
- After restoration of the customer's service/network, the TSE will then work on the data analysis and replicating the issues in the lab to further isolate the problem. Depending on the nature of the problem, a work-around may be offered and a problem report can be opened with engineering to investigate a bug and provide a fix.
- Address all technical queries raised by the customer until the permanent resolution has been found.
- Facilitate the technical interaction among the escalation team, engineering and the customer.
- Working with Service Managers to help them understand technical issues and their resolution (15%):
- Service Managers (SM) are a designated advocate within Juniper for post-sales account support coordination. They work closely with the customers and Technical Support Engineers to ensure effective implementation of Juniper Customer Support.
- Utilize technical expertise to help the SM's understand the technical details around problems that arise within the customer's network, as well as the impact of the issues and details about the problem, including workarounds and resolutions. This expert guidance then allows the SM's to prioritize the issues and work closely with them to assure that the customer's Service Level Agreements (SLA) are met.
- Ensuring knowledge sharing of customers' networks, issues and solutions through collaborations with other CSS teams (10%):
- Partner with a variety of customers and their support teams as well as Juniper design engineers to research all of the upcoming customer deployments, new feature requirements, evolving technologies and NPI (Juniper's New Product Introduction).
- Provide knowledge sharing through seminars and Transfer of Information (TOI) to the Juniper CSS teams supporting the customers.
- This helps the CSS teams to resolve complex customer issues on new and evolving technology as well as new customer deployments.
- Collaborating with engineering on escalated cases to resolve issues in a timely and effective manner (10%):
- Handle the most complex and technically challenging cases which may involve issues that go deep into the product line or touch areas of the code that may not have been seen or addressed by other support engineers or within other customers using Juniper's products. As such, there will be a need to engage additional technical resources from an escalation support group.
- Work in conjunction with the escalation support group and collaborate on troubleshooting, log analysis and additional efforts required, including replication of the problems in a lab scenario. These efforts are required to isolate the technical issue to a specific hardware or software component in order to raise problem reports to further engage the development engineering organization.
- Once cases have reached this stage, it will require additional time and attention from TSEs to drive the development organization to reach conclusions on the problem verification and fixes required. The TSE will then have to test the fixes in the lab and provide the fixes to the customer for their trial and analysis.
- Developing and maintaining skills in core products and technologies, and highlighting any need for training as the customer's network evolves (10%):
- Networking technology is evolving on a daily basis with new Request for Comments (RFCs) and protocols surfacing on a regular basis. In addition, customer networks, Juniper's core products, like software and hardware are expanding and becoming more complex to handle the growing complexity of the customer's networks.
- TSEs must stay up-to-date on evolving trends and keep up with new technologies via self-study, attending internal trainings, NPI (new product introduction) trainings, and reviewing new industry standards and RFCs.
- Write knowledge database documents to provide guidance and improve technical skills across the team.
- Discuss technical escalations with internal teams and customers (5%):
- When critical issues are reported by the customer, it normally involves service impact and critical outages. The TSE must be involved in all these critical escalations to resolve the issues in a timely fashion by restoring and/or recovering customer services.
- Work with the team members until a root cause is delivered to the customer.
- Take ownership of mission-critical escalations.
- Engage all concerned internal teams in conference calls and also with customers to discuss and to do deep dives on technical escalations.
- Drive mission critical escalations and work towards resolution.
- Provide sound documentation of technical support issues using available tools like case management systems and defect reporting tools (5%):
- Juniper's customers report issues, or open cases, using Juniper's case management system, which is based on an SAP database. Once cases are opened in SAP, they are then routed to a responsible support group where they get assigned to an engineer.
- Manage cases through comprehensive notes, timely updates to the customer, providing analysis of log files, linking PR's to the case to identify software problems or opening Return Material Authorizations (RMA) to replace faulty parts in the customer's equipment.
- This all helps to track the customer's software and hardware quality which helps to improve Juniper's product and therefore Juniper's business. Customers can also track the latest updates on the technical issues reported on their cases in a timely and efficient manner.
- Report all the technical software and hardware bugs to engineering using Juniper's defect reporting tool.
- Utilizing this application, the TSE will provide all the technical details, including any troubleshooting done on the bug, isolates the issue and provides additional details which will assist engineering in getting fixes for the customer's bugs.
- Effectively document all the technical analysis/isolation/workaround/fix details while working through the defect analysis with engineering
Tools and Technologies Utilized:
- Virtual private networking (VPN) - Layer 3 and Layer 2, EVPN
- Multi-protocol label switching (MPLS) - RSVP & LDP, traffic engineering
- IP Routing Protocols: Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (ISIS), and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) protocols.
- Other Layer3 Protocols - ARP, IPV4, IPV6, Neighbor discovery for V6, VRRP, SNMP
- High availability features - GRES & NSR (Non-stop routing)
- Operating systems - Junos (Juniper operating system) and Linux OS
- Scripting/Automation: Develop, deploy, and troubleshoot automation script using Linux shell and scripting languages (Python, Slax, Perl).
- Networking Tools: Utilize Wireshark tool for packet analysis, Ixia and Iperf traffic generator for network performance measurement, Visio for network drawings, Secure CRT and Putty for device access, FTP and SFTP for file transfers.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of IP networking in layers 2-4 (TCP/IP, Ethernet, VLANs, VLAN stacking QoS, STP, RSTP, OSPF, RIP, VRRP, IGMP, MPLS).
- Hands-on experience in configuration and troubleshooting of switches and routers.
- Strong transferable skills in other networking disciplines.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Network Storage experience is desired (NAS, SAN, FC, ESX, VM)
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment.
This position regularly provides technical product expertise in a complex network environment with the need to integrate Juniper products with other Juniper and non-Juniper equipment being operated by enterprise customers, data center customer and cloud providers.
The ability to convey sophisticated ongoing technical system support is critical to, and an essential component of, both Juniper's business operations and the business operations of Juniper customers.