Customer Service Specialist Evenings
Arizona State University
Parking & Transit Service
$13.96 per hour
The Parking and Transit Services seeks an evening Customer Service Specialist assigned to a high volume parking facility at the Tempe Campus. The Specialist coordinates customer service delivery to faculty, staff, students and guests of the university ensuring the garage equipment is in operational order (including gate arms, ticket dispensers, intercoms, and fee computers); provides general campus information, directions, parking alternatives and other information to customers. The customer service specialist is outside for the entire duration of their shift.
DAYS AND SCHEDULE: Monday- Friday, 2:30PM - 11:00 PM; occasional weekends due to special events on our campus. Alternate hours may be necessary with advanced notice depending upon operational demands. Campus operations are open and staffed 24 hours, 7 days per week.
- Assist customers in the use of the new PARCS equipment at the pay-on-foot locations in the entry/exit lanes and at times in the office using a fee computer. Approach customers in a positive professional manner providing a high level of customer service.
- Greet and acknowledge customers with a friendly warm greeting, introducing yourself, and presenting a professional image in appearance and in your communication
- Provide cashiering services which includes, but is not limited to: receiving and counting money, providing correct change, issuing receipts, counting cash drawer/receipts, documenting discrepancies and gate attending
- Use of T2/FLEX equipment and programs to provide payment options
- Prepare activity logs and report service/maintenance issues to their supervisor for resolution
- Respond to intercom calls and communicate with a two-way radio and telephone
- Provide general campus information to guests, including; directions, parking alternatives and other information
- Minor cleaning and equipment maintenance such as; clearing ticket dispensers, adjusting gate arms, intercom and fee computer problems
- Light structure maintenance such as picking up trash throughout the facility and keeping the parking equipment clean
- Manage traffic flow during peak ingress and egress periods for the efficient entry and exit of traffic. Monitor space availability and utilization; assist with events and reservation accommodations as necessary
- Be flexible during daily activities with the ability to change priorities which may include and/or subject to resolution conflict with customers
- Uses a computer
- Conducts analysis and prepares reports
- Prepares correspondence
- Communicates verbally and in writing
- Handles cash and other negotiable items
- Repairs equipment
- Uses office equipment
- Tracks data
- Assist Motorists
- Completes manual and electronic forms
- Other duties as assigned
One-two years’ customer service experience in a frontline service environment. OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience working with cash and or credit card transactions in a high volume retail environment with direct customer contact
- Experience working in a high volume service environment (2 years)
- Experience working in a parking operations at a university, city, or airport
- Demonstrated knowledge with maintenance of electronic and mechanical equipment
- Experience with cash and/or credit and debit card transactions
- Experience with customer service interaction with the general public
- Experience maintaining accurate records
- Experience with work that requires attention to detail and/or loss prevention requirements
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Evidence of a valid Class D driver’s license; an MVR will be conducted
- Drive and safely operate an ASU vehicle or cart, getting in and out of the vehicle frequently
- Work in an outdoor environment, standing and walking for extended periods of time in all weather conditions (heat, rain, wind) and frequently bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 35 pounds
- Required to use a two-way radio for communication
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- At times activities may be performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse
- Scheduled work area subject to change
Parking and Transit Services (PTS) plays an integral role in support of the development of Arizona State University by managing the parking and commuter options on the four campuses. PTS operates numerous shuttle, bus, car-sharing, and carpool programs to provide sustainable transportation options to the campus community. These services assist ASU students, faculty, and staff in traveling to, around and between campuses. PTS employees work in a dynamic and rapidly expanding University department and enjoy the benefits, professional growth, and job satisfaction associated with working for this nationally recognized leader among public institutions and the model for the New American University.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Applicant must provide three business related references; one current supervisor and two former supervisors; coworker will only be accepted if work history does not allow for three supervisors. Personal references are not accepted.
Applicant must provide a cover letter expressing interest in the position.
To apply, please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs under Careers at ASU, click “External Staff” and enter ReqID# 49273BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=3732865_5494