We Are Hiring
Cytoprep Technician I - Laboratory - PRN Evenings - Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital - Rochester, MI
- This is a PRN/contingent role, without guaranteed hours, intended to cover vacations and absences.
- Will be daily, Tuesday-Saturday, for 1 or 2 weeks at a time
- Start time is 11:00 PM
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital is a member of Ascension Health, the largest not-for-profit Catholic Health system in the United States.
Our Mission: Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital is dedicated to enhancing the health status of the individuals and communities we serve in partnership with our physicians, employees and community members.
We are called to:
- Service of the Poor - Generosity of spirit, especially for persons most in need
- Reverence - Respect and compassion for the dignity and diversity of life
- Integrity - Inspiring trust through personal leadership
- Wisdom - Integrating excellence and stewardship
- Creativity - Courageous innovation
- Dedication - Affirming the hope and joy of our ministry
Our Vision: To be the recognized healthcare Employer of choice.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital, you will have the opportunity to, directly supervised by Medical Technologist V, work closely with Histotechnologists, Medical Technologists, Specimen Processors and Section Leader of his/her assigned section toward the completion of the routine section workload for patients of all age groups. This effort is directed toward the timely, efficient, accurate and precise production of laboratory data for use by physicians in diagnosis and treatment of disease. Duties may encompass but not exclusively entail working with various devices, machines and instruments that aid in the production of clinical data. Additionally, handles specimens from various sources (i.e., Gynecologic, Respiratory, Fine Needle Aspirations, and Body Fluids) which may be infectious in nature. Perform only routine tests.
- Essential Functions
- Under direct supervision - For patients of all age groups, performs all routine cytologic specimen preparation and associated tasks under direct supervision in order to provide accurate information for use by a physician for the diagnosis and treatment of disease in a timely, efficient manner. Maintains confidentiality in the processing of specimens and handling of all laboratory data.
- Receives specimens from couriers or other laboratory personnel and verifies specimen integrity, acceptability, and labeling. Follow proper procedure for specimen identification and/or rejection including follow up and proper documentation. Able to perform specimen registration and accessioning.
- Under supervision, performs appropriate quality control procedures and documents Q.C. data according to laboratory policy and procedure. Seeks authorization from the Tech V Cytotechnologist or Pathologist releasing clinical data.
- Performs appropriate documentation of laboratory procedures under supervision to assure the accuracy of laboratory records. Accurately enters clinical data into the laboratory computer system where appropriate.
- Participates in continuing education to keep current on new advancements in technology, instrumentation, techniques and procedures.
- Performs under supervision all routine duties promptly, accurately and efficiently and precisely with no wasted effort. Pays heed to conservation of resources.
- Observes established safety procedures to minimize hazards to self and other coworkers.
- Non-Essential Functions
- May under supervision, prepare reagents, media and/or solutions used in bioanalytical procedures. Reconstitutes controls, standards and reagent as required.
- Handles routine telephone inquiries and messages courteously and efficiently. Refers other inquiries to appropriate person.
- Conducts self in a professional, courteous, caring, and cooperative manner. Is aware of team spirit at all times.
- This position shall have access to and disclose personal health information only when reasonably necessary to perform the designated job related responsibilities. Disclosure and/or use of personal health information for any purpose other tan as reasonably necessary for designated job responsibilities is prohibited.
- This position requires the ability to identify age related differences within the persons served and the adjustment of treatment style and expectations as appropriate, including adjustments based on the persons served cognitive function and learning ability. This will include taking into account their religious and cultural needs and preferences.
What You Will NeedEducation:
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of tests and procedures necessary to perform technical functions and clinical evaluations as generally acquired through experience in Cytology, a related science or equivalent experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Rochester Providence Hospital is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Thank you for considering a career with Crittenton Hospital Medical Center.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.