Responsible for preparation and storage of all specimens and necessary documentation. Prepares stains and slides for reading by Cytotechnologist or review by pathologist.
- Stains, mounts, and studies cells of human body to detect evidence of cancer, hormonal abnormalities, and other pathological conditions, following established standards of practices. Prepares microscopic slides from specimens of blood, scrappings, or other bodily exudates, and fixes and stains slides to preserve specimen and enhance visibility of cells under microscope.
- Examine specimens to detect abnormal hormone conditions.
- Examine cell samples to detectabnormalities in the color, shape, or size of cellular components andpatterns. Evaluate cells for thepresence of cancer, precancerous changes of infections
- Prepare and analyze samples, such as Papanicolaou (PAP) smear body fluids and find needle aspirations (FNAs), to detect abnormal conditions.
- Provide clinical data or microscopic findings to assist pathologists in the preparation of pathology reports.
- Quality Assurance in the laboratory including the maintenance of the system in accordance with the requirements of the College of The American Pathologists and preparation for site visits.
- Prepare slides and reports in a timely fashion, ensuring Q.C. are met.
- Maintain procedures and records to meet all regulatory standards.
- Promotes and displays a positive customer oriented demeanor to patients, visitors, staff, and physicians.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
- Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
- Other duties as assigned.
Florida Clinical Laboratory Personnel licensure with a Cytology qualification
Effective Time Management Skills
West Florida Healthcare, a 515-bed health carefacility, is proud to be the area's leader in quality outcomes performance. Inaddition to receiving an A Rating in Patient Safety from the Leapfrog Groupsince Fall of 2015, West Florida Healthcare is also the area's first AccreditedChest Pain Center and Breast Imaging Center of Excellence. West FloridaHealthcare is also the first hospital in the state of Florida to have earnedAtrial Fibrillation with Electrophysiology Services Accreditation. In addition,West Florida Healthcare is an Advanced Primary Stroke Center and offersspecialized Emergency Department services tailored specifically to the needs ofseniors as well as a Kids' ER dedicated to serving the emergency medical needsof children. The West Florida Healthcare campus includes the acute carehospital, the area's only comprehensive, CARF-accredited physicalrehabilitation hospital, and a behavioral health facility.
Affiliatedwith HCA, the nation's leading provider of healthcare, West Florida Healthcaremeets the community's healthcare needs in major services such as cardiology,cardiovascular surgery, oncology, orthopedics, robotic-assisted surgery,critical care, neurology/neurosurgery, emergency care, urology, behavioralhealth, gastroenterology, obstetrics, pulmonary, and rehabilitative medicine.
You are worth more thana paycheck. Enjoy the following benefits and more!
- Paid Time Off
- Medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee discount program
- Employee stock purchase program
- Student loan repayment