Job Number: 4220
External Description: The purpose of theDesign Strategy Lead is to deeply understand and design for current and future customers of one of the Enterprise Product Line Management (EPLM) teams.
As a Design Strategy Lead you will...
- In partnership with Design Strategy Directors and regional Marketing/Strategy team members to define and prioritize regional/localized priorities in the strategic portfolio for the EPLM category.
- Define strategic briefs and guide global and local multidisciplinary teams through project execution: define the problem and opportunity, define research strategy to better understand target customer segments, lead synthesis and insights sessions with key stakeholders, translate insights into prototypes with extended team members (e.g. engineers, marketing, strategy, planning, finance), and define assumptions and plans to test new concepts and prototypes for implementation.
- Be comfortable with complexity—finding opportunities and clear paths in ambiguous environments. You're comfortable facilitating senior stakeholder discussions.
- Have a passion for the business side of creative solutions and can meet the organization where it's at in managing change in a high-growth environment.
- Embody our culture and steward others in the direction of our shared values and ways of working inside the lab and with Ford. You have patience to mentor and coach others through difficult challenges and can serve as a trusted advisor to senior stakeholders.
- You will report to the Senior Design Strategy Director, but we're a pretty flat organization inside the lab, so would hope you'd leave your title at the door.
- Bachelor's degree in an arts subject, Fine Arts, Engineering, Science, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, or Philosophy.
- 6 years' work experience.
- 2 years' experience applying human-centered design approaches, methods and tools to solve complex problems.
- 2 years' leadership experience.
- Master's degree in Engineering or design-related equivalent experience.
- 2 years' experience leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Passionate about automotive and mobility industry.
- Experience working in or with creative cultures.
- Experience working in large, corporate environments.
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders across complex projects.
- Experience presenting to executive audiences.
A bit about us
We're in the midst of the biggest change the automotive industry has ever seen.
Just as cars changed the world over the last century - creating the driver, highways, gas stations, and malls - self-driving cars, electric powertrains, and connected vehicles will radically reshape how we live, work, and play, our cities and society themselves, in the next hundred years.
At D-Ford, you'll be at the heart of creating that future. You'll be at the cutting edge of Ford's most strategically critical work, designing people and society's needs into the heart of our next generation of products, services and experiences.
You'll also be designing at scale. Every day, Ford's vehicles and services support millions of people around the world. So, at the Lab, we're not just inventing the future, we're operationalizing it, to help all those people move through their lives, better.
We drive human progress through empathy, creativity and design.
Our values are our guiding light, and the conscience for our work, and our people. We're looking for people who share this way of being - you don't need to be convinced of it, you just get it:
- ZOOM OUT
We are curious about the world, designing systems and connections that enable people to move more freely.
- AMPLIFY OTHERS' VOICES
We are inspired by the people around us, bringing their unique stories to the forefront of our designs.
- PUSH THE EDGE
We provoke new ways of thinking about tomorrow's toughest design challenges, while grounded in what's possible.
- GET SCRAPPY
We build in the open, rigorously testing, iterating and evolving our ideas with others.
- BRIDGE THE GAP
We radically collaborate across teams, geographies, and philosophies, uncovering new insights to tomorrow's problems.
- WILD CARD
Our strength comes from bringing our whole selves to the community—from introspective to playful or quirky. What will you bring?
BRING YOUR T
We don't hire "Design Thinkers." We hire T-people. You:
- Have deep expertise in a craft
- Are comfortable working in relatively flat and dynamic teams
- Are passionate to work on ambiguous and complex future challenges
- Have a collaborative and empathetic mindset to solve problems with teams across Ford
Alongside everyone's role as a designer of world class design content, you will also be expected to contribute to a range of communities to maintain our creative culture. We call these Community Hats.
They can range from stewarding the lab, leading a workshop, mentoring others, contributing to publications, hosting a tour with executives, bringing your maker skills to build prototypes, or leading your craft in a global community of like-minded designers.
These global communities will ensure that we stay connected across the organization, and constantly push the impact of what we do. They can act as additional areas of responsibility, helping to push careers in different directions.
We have four global labs: Palo Alto, Detroit, London and soon, Shanghai.
You'll be part of a growing organization in the heart of Ford's Product Development Center to drive innovation from the inside out.
WORKING AT FORD
Join our team as we create tomorrow! We believe in putting people first, working together, and facing challenges head-on, because we're Built Ford Tough. We're one team striving to make people's lives better while creating value, delivering excellence and ultimately going for thewin.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Ford Motor Company is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
Job Number: 38525BR
Community / Marketing Title: D-Ford Design Strategy Lead
Location_formattedLocationLong: Dearborn, Michigan US