The Lead Technician is a hands-on role that will work closely with the Project Manager and Installation Technicians and is responsible for executing DAS Installation and Head End upgrade projects. This person is a leader capable of managing, training, and mentoring a crew of 3-5 people while on site.
Major Roles and Responsibilities
- Installing DAS wireless equipment. To include but not limited to the installation of Outdoor and Indoor antennas, coaxial cable, CATV cable, fiber optic cable, CAT 5 cable, DC Power Cable and other appropriate components to NEC standards.
- Terminating coaxial cable: JMA, Andrews, Trilogy and etc.
- Fusion Splicing and Fiber OTDR Testing.
- Installation of DAS Headend to include DC Power Plant, Alarms, GPS and etc.
- Keeping customer and company informed of progress of installation. Communicating and coordinating with customer and company related to specific safety, local code and company installation requirements.
- Assisting in proposal development and project preparation activities.
- Completing site surveys to troubleshoot and design corrective RF and RF/fiber optic installations for existing systems with inadequate coverage. Report findings to the appropriate staff.
- Assist with development of project schedules and materials/subcontractor selections.
- Mentoring and leading less experienced technicians.
- Expert at Completing Sweep, PIM and Fiber testing.(Anritzu and EXFO Certifications a PLUS)
- Completing job related documentation and record keeping.
- Assisting in warehouse maintenance and inventory.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, documentation, and presentations.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Handle day-to-day project level customer, contractor, and internal communications – verbal and written.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- MUST HAVE a minimum of 2 years of in-building DAS installation experience. 5 years of cable installation experience in IT, Cable, Electrical, RF and/or Telecommunications fields.
- Must have high level of understanding and experience performing fusion splicing, fiber terminations, fiber dressing, fiber cleaning and OTDR Testing.
- Corning and EXFO Certifications a plus.
- Must have high level of understanding and experience performing RF Sweep and PIM Measurements. Anritzu Certifications a plus.
- Solid understanding of wireless networks, including modulation techniques (UTMS, GSM, LTE plus etc.), amplifier/antenna/cable theory, link budgets, propagation tools, etc.)
- Knowledge of the terminology used in the in-building Distributed Antennae System (DAS) Industry
- Working knowledge of RF test equipment (ie spectrum analyzer, sweep and PIM test equipment) Certifications a PLUS
- Demonstrated ability to use basic hand and power tools needed for installation projects.
- Experience as a Field Foreman or Field Supervisor, and coaching less experienced technicians while managing projects.
- Solid skills Microsoft Office Software (particularly Excel).
- Probationary period of 90 days
- Required to have a valid driver’s license
- Individuals with a felony or misdemeanor convictions MAY not be hired
- Individuals must not have any alcohol or drug-related convictions or suspensions within the past three years.
- Individual must be able to read and understand instructions in English as well as possess good oral & written communication skills.
- Individual must be able to pass a drug and physical screening as well as background requirements.
Individual must be available to work variable hours and willing to travel.