Data Automation System Engineer
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 93,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
“3M’s culture is driven by curious, spirited and collaborative people who are constantly asking ‘What if?’ And the many talents of 3Mers around the globe have me incredibly excited about what’s to come next.” – Kristen Ludgate, senior vice president of Human Resources at 3M
As a Data Automation System Engineer, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Deploying software systems that integrate with the upper level manufacturing and business data systems and the control systems used to manufacture 3M products.
- Working with process engineers and controls engineers to deploy data automation solutions consistent with 3M ACE (Industry 4.0)
- Value creation of improved quality, productivity, and information flow through manufacturing operations
- Developing an expertise in one or more of the following technologie
- Deployment of Data Automation solutions within our 3M Manufacturing operation
- Driving innovation within our operations using both internal and external technologies
- Leadership of initiatives that improve our factory operations
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M is looking for candidates who must have the following qualifications:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Two (2) years experience in programming, manufacturing, or related technical field.
- Good understanding of operating system(s) and how they work.
- Evidence of objective oriented programming skills in two languages or very strong in (example VB, .NET, C++).
- Background in PLC programming with an understanding of control systems and wiring to allow for safe interaction with process equipment.
- Ability to communicate with people at all levels, particularly operators, engineers, management and gain an understanding of their needs.
- Willingness to travel (US and International), complete hands on work in all types of manufacturing environments and work the line to learn what is really needed to drive strategic improvement
- Work closely with end users to understand project scope and communicate and train on solutions.
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Familiarity with SCADA systems.
- Practical engineering experience and understanding of principals across numerous engineering trades.
- Electrical, Computer, and/or Computer Science degree preferred.
- Deep understanding of databases and how to effectively utilize them.
- Familiarity with a manufacturing environment.
- Effective communication skills, both orally and written and an understanding of when communication is necessary.
- Openness to learn, understand and seek out new and changing technologies.
- Willingness to work with multiple operating systems.
Travel: May include up to [30%] [domestic/international]
Relocation Assistance: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.