The Sr. Data Modeler works with Business Analysts, Data Analysts, DBAs & ETL developers to create conceptual, logical and physical data models for the Enterprise Data Warehouse and other Data and Analytical Assets. This role requires strong knowledge of Data Warehouse modeling best practices as well as a working knowledge of OS, Storage and ETL technology.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science equivalent field -OR Equivalent education and/or work experience.
location: Reston, Virginia
job type: Contract
work hours: 9am to 5pm
Essential Job Functions
- Design, build & maintain the Data Warehouse, Operational Data Stores & other data assets
- Maintain the existing data warehouses and Design subject area wise data marts / cubes to facilitate aggregation, slicing and dicing of data by reporting tools such as MicroStrategy
- Interface with Data governance teams to leverage central data repositories
- Work proactively & independently to address project requirements, and articulate issues/challenges with enough lead time to address project delivery risks
- Provide bug fixes and level-3 support to troubleshoot Production problems
- Understand and translate business needs into data models supporting long-term solutions.
- Work with the Application Development team to implement data strategies, build data flows and develop conceptual, logical and physical data models that ensure high data quality and reduced redundancy.
- Optimize & Maintain conceptual, logical and physical data models along with corresponding metadata to support new and existing projects.
- Develop best practices for standard naming conventions and coding practices to ensure consistency of data models.
- Recommend opportunities for reuse of data models in new environments.
- Perform reverse engineering of physical data models from databases and SQL scripts.
- Evaluate data models and physical databases for variances and discrepancies.
- Validate business data objects for accuracy and completeness.
- Analyze data-related system integration challenges and propose appropriate solutions.
- Guide System Analysts, Developers, Data Stewards and others on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
- Review modifications to existing software & hardware to improve efficiency and performance.
7-10 years of data modeling experience
skills: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Experience with RDBMS (SQL, PostgreSQL & PL/SQL); Scripting Unix / Linux (Commands); Data modeling (Data Vault, Star/Snowflake, 3rd normal form, SCD2); Modeling Tools (ER Studio, ERWin, PowerDesigne
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.