About the Team
The Data Intelligence team is a subgroup of Sovrn’s larger Data Science team that generates data-based intelligence for internal stakeholders. The team processes data from over 25 billion HTTP requests daily, resulting in several petabytes of data on a monthly basis. The team then uses this information to produce data products that inform decision-making across the company, and to build optimization tools and new features that directly affect Sovrn and its publishers.
About the Job
In this role of Data Scientist II you will be responsible for becoming an expert on a broad portion of the Sovrn business. You will apply your expertise in data analysis to identify business opportunities to optimize our products and operations. You will partner with business leaders to guide decisions based on analysis of large datasets, rigorous testing, and a deep understanding of the technical workings of our Commerce, Exchange, and Signal product lines. Projects may include developing optimization systems for the exchange, building simulations of product changes, and building prototypes of new features to increase the performance of our business.
You will partner with other data scientists and engineers to develop your big data skills and use powerful tools to develop insights and optimization in Sovrn’s high performance real-time ad exchange and other business segments.
What you will be doing:
- Develop detailed expertise in the technical workings of Sovrn’s various business units
- Develop expertise in each data resource, and methods to extract and process data (SQL, Hive, Spark, etc...)
- Develop expertise in the business drivers in a specific area of the Sovrn business
- Partner with business leaders in that area to drive performance improvements through rigorous analysis and decision support
- Drive business initiatives in that area through modeling, automating, and driving product design and testing.
- Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context
- Collaborate with fellow data scientists, product managers, engineers, and data platform teams to further develop Sovrn’s products and data resources.
You are a storyteller who interprets results from complex datasets and turns them into clear and concise narratives to guide the direction of your company. You are eager to be a leader and mentor for more junior members of your team, as well as for groups of embedded analysts in other teams around the company. You enjoy using written and oral communication to evangelize data literacy throughout the company.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree in quantitative, analytic field or relevant working experience
- Expertise in SQL and relational databases
- Experience in Python or other scripting languages
- Experience with data modeling and machine learning algorithms
- Comfort with version-controlled codebase (Git)
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to convert business problems into structured analysis and back to business solutions
- A passion for helping teammates expand their data skill set
- Ability to quickly formulate solutions to difficult problems
- Experience analyzing data to extract business recommendations
- Comfortable in fast-paced, start-up environments
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent
- Experience with AWS and/or GCP
- Experience with Java or Scala
Position Reports to: Manager, Data Intelligence Team
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, New York, and London.
With 10,000 customers deploying one or more products across 30,000 websites, Sovrn reaches 200M consumers across more than 3.5B pageviews everyday. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding, and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating advertising fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn is an Equal Opportunity Employer!