Data Scientist – Washington DC
JCDS is seeking a Data Scientist to compile data analyses in support of a variety of health care innovation projects for the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Data Scientist will support individual projects in their data and analytics needs, use existing data to develop business cases, and support portfolio-wide analyses of effectiveness and impact. Awareness of the Veterans Health Administration data storage platforms, such as the Corporate Data Warehouse (CDW), or the appropriate SQL knowledge to run data queries is a plus.
A strong candidate must demonstrate the ability to clean, manipulate, and analyze data using modern programming languages (Python, SAS, MATLAB, C++, R, Java, SQL, PL/SQL) or business intelligence platforms; this ability will support the team as they run Machine Learning Challenges. The ideal candidate would understand research methodologies commonly utilized in the health care innovation space and be able to design a research methodology with limited client input. Finally, the person would also help the program office assess effectiveness of their projects, which requires some unique problem solving.
This mid-level, full-time position is in Washington, DC with regular telework options available. (Please note: Due to COVID-19, this worksite requirement will not go into effect until social distancing restrictions are lifted by the appropriate health officials.)
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience within government consulting and organizing analytic results for further analysis.
- Master’s Degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science or related discipline.
- Experience manipulating datasets with at least one modern programming language or business intelligence platform (Python, SAS, MATLAB, C++, R, Java, SQL, PL/SQL).
- Must be proficient in Tableau or equivalent.
- Ability to work onsite in Washington, DC
- Ability to obtain and maintain a public trust clearance.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Find patterns in data and clearly articulate the entire analysis (e.g., methodology, results, assumptions, constraints) using various suites of tools.
- Creatively apply visualizations to large datasets using tools like Tableau, Power BI, or Qlik.
- Prepare comprehensive written reports, presentations, and charts based on research, collection, and analysis of data.
- Review Business requirements, their analytical and operational reporting needs.
- Experience working with Veteran Affairs data (i.e. Corporate Data Warehouse).
- Flexible mindset focused on delivering quality deliverables on tight deadlines.
- Excellent problem-solving capability.
- Ability to get up to speed quickly on complex issues; desire to work in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment.
- Capable self-starter with a drive to get all types of work done and high attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to communicate across most mediums and settings.