The Atlanta Falcons are seeking a SQL Database Architect to add to their team. This individual will be an integral player in the success of our Football Technology Team. This group provides front-line support to our Football Operations (General Manager, Coaches, Scouts, and more) through custom application development, business intelligence, advanced analytics, and video integration efforts.
This role will be specifically responsible for completing the migration of our legacy scouting applications into a new database system, including the migration of data and functionality. From there, this role will work together with our internal Application Development, Football Analytics, and Video staffs to ensure quality, consistent, and efficient access to the data that drives our team. Finally, this role will be responsible for guiding the Atlanta Falcons Football Technology Department into the next era of Database Management as we identify new ways to manage our Player Tracking Data – a dataset that grows at the rate of 1.5 million records per game.
The role and responsibilities are as follows:
- Develop and manage database solutions that efficiently store and retrieve information vital to the success of our football team.
- Provide front line support to analyze, document and troubleshoot issues with data quality, performance, and consistency.
- Proactively monitor and improve system performance by conducting tests, troubleshooting and monitoring our data environments using 3rd party tools.
- Establish industry best practices in terms of patterns, naming conventions, and standards; enforce those standards amongst a diverse team of different skillsets.
- Have a strong desire for continued self-learning in the field of Database Architecture; have a desire to try new structures and technologies in search of the best fit for our changing needs. Conduct research and make recommendations on data base products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement, storage, and retrieval of data.
- Collaborate and work with an experienced in-house application development and analytics team that consists of football analysts (both data and video), application developers, and project managers to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate a proven ability to understand query plans and statistics as to identify performance bottlenecks is a must, with having a process-based ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues promptly; assume primary responsibility during problem resolution.
- Routinely monitor production database application processes, automated jobs, “extract, transformation, and load” (ETL) synchronization jobs and tasks on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Manage vital functions of all development, test, and production databases, including but not limited to database backup and disaster recovery restore operations, SQL query performance analysis and tuning, SQL server installation, database storage provisioning and capacity planning, SQL server upgrades, database server security administration, change management, audit controls, PCI compliance.
- Provide accurate status updates and time estimates on project tasks and prioritized assignments.
- Coordinate database refreshes with development teams and analysts; responsible for providing technical support and SQL expertise to developers.
- Monitor, optimize, and allocate physical data storage for database systems by working with IT/Network Engineers.
- Plan and coordinate data migrations between all systems.
- Assess and develop long-term strategic goalsfor production databases in conjunction with data owners and department managers.
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems is preferred, and/or appropriate combination of education and experience is required.
- Strong understanding of SQL server database structures, theories, principles, and practices in order to be able to support a web-based application development environment is necessary, with a preference for maintaining and optimizing databases that are 100 gigabytes in size and larger.
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring, and supporting database servers.
- SQL development experience with creating tables, indexes, data views, complex stored procedures and triggers.
- Experience with SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) functionality of Microsoft SQL server with regards to SQL server database integrations with other databases and software.
- Hands-on SQL server database tuning and troubleshooting experience.
- SQL Server support experience and a strong willingness to perform in a support capacity for application developers and analytics team members.
- Position requires experience managing multiple projects and requests at the same time. Detail oriented, self-directed, and able to provide accurate status updates and time estimations on project tasks and prioritize assignments. Must possess strong writing and documentation skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment. Listens well and provides assertive ideas in collaborative meetings. Assist developers and analysts in SQL concepts and best practices.
- Familiarity and working knowledge with modern public cloud environments such as Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and/or AWS.
- Familiarity and working knowledge with noSQL database tools.
- Familiarity and working knowledge with big data and data mining tools.
- Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards, and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Proven Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, demanding environment.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours or be available in an on-call capacity including some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Overtime may be required in some instances to meet project deadlines.