Our Company is looking to fill the role of a Database Engineer. The Database Engineer is responsible for working with our data storage technologies. Responsibilities include designing and developing new features to support the needs of the Drop Tank data product suite. Our engineers use Oracle Cloud Services and Technologies to manage and run our current platform. We are always keen to adopt the best new technologies and invest in forward thinking. This position is located in Burr Ridge, IL.
THE KIND OF STUFF YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Working with technologies that support our products: Autonomous Databases, Oracle Data Integrator, PL/SQL, Analytics platforms.
- Writing complex ETL jobs and processes to import and transform data into easily analyzed datasets.
- Extending and improving existing system data services.
- Develop Python and Linux scripts for Complex Data Migrations.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery for greater scalability.
- Enhance the current infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and PL/SQL.
- Enhance the data pipeline to provide access to the Analytic tools so that actionable insights for customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics can be obtained.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated and secure utlizing various techniques and approaches
- Responsible for Issue Resolution in regards to Data inconsistencies and sync issues.
- Work with the System architect to design databases for new applications and optimize them to run effectively and efficiently.
- Develop PL/SQL functions, procedures and triggers as needed.
- Create data tools for analytics that assist stakeholders in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- Create and maintain Technical Documents on Data Analytics and Data migrations.
THE KIND OF EXPERIENCE YOU'LL NEED:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Technology or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience with the following:
- Extensive knowledge of PL/SQL, SQL and ETL processes
- Building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field. They should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with relational PL/SQL and SQL databases
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools:
- Experience with cloud services
- Experience with Oracle Cloud
- Solid knowledge of PL/SQL, ANSI/SQL
- Experience with networking, operating system and shell scripting
- Experience with high-volume, high-performance, enterprise software systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Facility with version control (git), and knowledge of modern software development practices and tool belt (e.g. Build and Test, Continuous Integration, Agile)
- The ability to clearly articulate questions and create design specifications
- Must be able, periodically, to work outside normal business hours (i.e. early mornings, evenings and weekends) to support critical systems
THE KIND OF EXTRA STUFF THAT WOULD BE NICE:
- JIRA and Atlassian suite of tools (Confluence)
- Experience with management of relational databases
- Experience with functional and unit testing
- Reasonable skill with spreadsheets and diagrams
- Experience with Point of Sale (POS) systems and technologies
THE KIND OF PERSON WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- A talented, experienced developer with a handle on good software design.
- Someone with a knack for solving difficult problems in complex multi-component systems, and an interest in learning new things.
- Must be happy in a highly team-oriented environment where collaboration between developers and across teams is common; where giving and receiving of feedback, debate, and constructive criticism are actively encouraged.
- Our organizational structure is pretty flat so you’ll be given a fair amount of latitude with, and responsibility for, your own time.
ABOUT DROP TANK:
Working at Drop Tank provides you the opportunity to work with a forward-thinking team that works on a nationwide platform. You will be joining an organization with a mission that encourages and inspires all employees to work together to shape the future of Drop Tank. We speak loyalty in everything that we do – including our internal culture.
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
- An opportunity to be a part of a culture anchored in diversity and teamwork.
- Full benefits package including medical/dental/vision/disability and 401(k) option.
- Generous PTO (paid time off)
- Promotion from within and opportunities to learn, innovate and expand your skills.
- Complimentary snacks, coffee, and tea in each break room.
- Positive work environment that promotes terrific work-life balance within a company with a bright future.
- Office locations in Burr Ridge, IL & Ottawa, IL.
SECURITY AND PROCESSING INTEGRITY:
- Employee credentials are validated.
- U.S. Department of Labor Public Access File for each Labor Condition Application filed on behalf of a new employee is completed.
- A Background Check is performed.
- A Non-Disclosure Agreement is executed.
Equal Opportunity Employer