- Dean of Students - full time position JobID: 8013
- Position Type:
High School Teaching/Administrative
- Date Posted:
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
- Additional Information:
High School Dean of Students – full time position
Exciting opportunity to develop the enormous potential of young women at a school where girls are empowered to lead.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is one of 24 Sacred Heart schools in the United States and Canada. Sacred Heart education at Woodlands Academy is distinctive and emphasizes best practices for the education of girls and innovative practices for academic excellence. Established in 1858, the school forms global citizens and transforms young women within a dynamic of relationships that responds to the dignity of each member of the school community.
The Dean of Students reports to the Principal on all non-academic activities that involve students and faculty. In general, the Dean is responsible for fostering among the faculty and students a positive and caring atmosphere on a daily basis, a sense of order and discipline in the school, the supervision of student health services and safety, and the organization of all extracurricular activities so that the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education may be carried out effectively.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Dean of Students will:
- Work with the Principal to develop and manage academic and social policies, protocols, and practices that serve to support student development, learning, health, and safety
- Oversee student conduct and maintain student discipline and disciplinary records
- Prepare and maintain the Student/Parent Handbook
- Counsel students when necessary, working closely with the school psychologist
- Collaborate with the Student Support Team, college counselor, club moderators, and co-moderates the Advisory Program
- Supervise the following: Athletic Director, Community Service Director, Drama Director, and Campus Minister and collaborates with each in program implementation
- Plan and facilitate leadership training for the elected student leaders, moderates the student government organization and runs school elections
- Oversee and organize the school dances, including junior/senior prom
- Ensure the health and safety of students on campus as well as in the residential program
- Conduct emergency drills and is a member of the Crisis Team
- Maintain the school calendar, scheduling all school and class activities
- Perform all other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience in high school education and proven success as part of an administrative team
- A genuine understanding and willingness to learn the culture, community, and the demands students feel on a daily basis, and be an active, enthusiastic member of the WA community
- The ability to build positive relationships with high school students and be a powerful student mentor
- A high-level of familiarity and competence across cultures and multiple perspectives
- Superb communication skills, including excellent verbal/written skills, in order to collaborate with Student Support Team, parents, faculty, and students
- The ability to draw people in for collaboration, problem solving, and be a trusted and sought-after colleague
- Strong people skills in order to be empathetic to the needs of the students and their parents
- Upon employment: completion of Virtus: Protecting God’s Children training and successful completion of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks.
An equal opportunity employer, Woodlands Academy seeks to hire outstanding and diverse faculty who work together harmoniously toward the common mission of the school.
Please complete the application materials listed on the Career Opportunities web page of the school’s website at . All applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, three written references, and a Job Faculty Application.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is an all-girls, Catholic, college preparatory day and boarding school in Lake Forest, IL. Visit the school’s website at and the website of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools at .
Woodlands Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Woodlands Academy does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.
- Position Type: