The Dental Assistant works under general supervision. Sets up and takes radiographs, logs in x-rays taken. Assists in taking patient’s vital signs. Takes digital radiographs, and has the ability to export them to different formats. Monitors for intravenous sedation and nitrous oxide sedation. Assist with intravenous sedation procedures.
- Assists Dentist, Residents and Students, prepares for dental treatment by draping patient with covering; arranges dental instruments, materials and medications on chair side tray in the order they are to be used according to scheduled treatment.
- Keeps oral operating areas clear during dental procedures by use of suction devices; water sprays, cotton rolls and holders,
- Pass instruments to the Dentist; assists during oral surgery; sterilizes instruments using autoclaves or chemical disinfectants; mixes dental material for procedure being done.
- Performs radiographic and other medical procedures.
- Takes and processes radiographs and mounts prints for review and study.
- Changes developing solutions in automatic and manual developers and logs number of exposures daily.
- Takes patients vital signs, pours, trim and polishes casts and removable appliance.
- Conducts plaque controls program and home care instructions
- Assists students in x-ray techniques and terminology; provides training in four-hand techniques.
- Performs clerical duties, receives patients, arranges appointments and records treatment.May keep inventory of materials used; keeps records of procedures performed by students; answers the telephone and takes messages.
- Produces digital radiographs for all student clinics and performs the duties assigned by the chair of the radiology department
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Ability to assist students, resident and/or faculty in chair procedures.
- Ability to understand technical and medical nomenclature.
- Knowledge of names and use of dental instruments and equipment.
- Knowledge of basic methods of dental record keeping and reporting.
- Knowledge of sterilization techniques and procedures.
High School or equivalent and successful completion of a dental assistant program and registration with the State of Tennessee required. Prior experience working with 2D, and 3D radiology equipment preferred.