- Maintains patient confidentiality and complies with all federal and state health information privacy laws.
- Receives, prepares and dismisses patients.
- Uses four and six-handed dentistry techniques to include passing instruments, retractions, and material preparation. Uses parallel and bisecting angle digital and panoramic radiographic techniques.
- Sets up instruments and materials for all clinical procedures performed.
- Obtains patient history of medications and medical conditions.
- Charts existing dental conditions and treatments.
- Presents treatment plans, consultations, consent forms and discusses follow up visits.
- Takes and records vital signs.
- Provides oral health education such as brushing, flossing, care of prostheses, etc.
- Takes impressions and trim models, and labels lab cases.
- Makes minor adjustments to partials and dentures.
- Fabricates temporary crowns, CEREC crowns, and bridge.
- Places rubber dam.
- Packs retraction cord.
- Records and maintains log books such as PPE, sterilizer, radiology, MSDS, etc.
- Disinfects and wraps environmental surfaces in the dental operatories.
- Disinfects and sterilizes instruments, equipment and all office areas.
- May triage dental emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and graduate of an accredited Dental Assistant Program and two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of OSHA standards, digital radiographs, and creation of CEREC crowns preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other team members. Fluent in English required; Spanish bilingual required.
Ability to apply understanding to carry out instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with occasional or no variables.
Certificates and Licenses:
RDA certified by the State of Texas required. Dental Radiology certified required. CPR certified required.
Demonstrate working knowledge of the Internet, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel; and proficient skill with electronic health record software.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is exposed to a medical office environment having direct contact with patients and clients. Position necessitates bending, stooping, twisting, turning, walking, climbing step stools, sitting and standing for periods of time. Must be able to lift and maneuver 25 pounds.