Choosing a career in community healthcare is highly rewarding. Come join a dynamic and diverse team at LifeLong Medical Care as a Dental Assistant working out of our sites in Berkeley and Pinole. Being bilingual in Spanish is a plus!
The ideal candidate is professional, organized and possesses excellent patient care skills. Primary responsibility is to ensure the smooth flow of procedures performed by dental staff. Assists dentist(s) in all phases of dentistry, including taking diagnostic intra-oral x-rays and sterilizing instruments.
This is a full-time, benefit eligible position.
LifeLong Medical Care is a large, multi-site, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) with a rich history of providing innovative healthcare and social services to a wonderfully diverse patient community. Our patient-centered health home is a dynamic place to work, practice, and grow. We have over 20 primary care health centers and deliver integrated services including psychosocial, referrals, chronic disease management, dental, health education, home visits, and much, much more. LifeLong Medical Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We offer excellent benefits including: medical, dental, vision (including dependent and domestic partner coverage), generous leave benefits including nine paid holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) retirement savings plan.
Performs basic supportive dental procedures as follows under the general supervision of licensed dentist(s):
- Assists dentist(s) chair side in all phases of dentistry.
- Manages patient behavior during treatment.
- Operates dental radiographic equipment for the purpose of oral radiology; taking diagnostic quality x-rays, developing and mounting correctly as requested by the dentist(s) as often as needed.
- Follows infection control protocols as specified by professional, state and federal standards. Uses appropriate protective carriers.
- Assists patients with oral hygiene instructions following dental procedures.
- Performs tasks with adherence to all OSHA and regulatory sterilization, infection control, and protective barrier guidelines.
- Documents treatment and patient information in dental software program.
- Performs other duties when assigned by the clinic managerand dental director.
- Ability to assist dentist in all phases of dentistry, and take diagnostic intra-oral x-rays.
- Strong organizational, administrative and problem-solving skills, and ability to be flexible and adaptive to change.
- Ability to effectively present information to others, including other employees, community partners and vendors.
- Ability to seek direction/approval from on essential matters, yet work independently with little onsite supervision, using professional judgment and diplomacy.
- Work in a team-oriented environment with a number of professionals with different work styles and support needs.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written skills and ability to effectively work with people from diverse backgrounds and be culturally sensitive.
- Conduct oneself in external settings in a way that reflects positively on LifeLong Medical Care as an organization of professional, confident and sensitive staff.
- Ability to see how one’s work intersects with that of other departments of LifeLong Medical Care and that of other partner organization.
- Make appropriate use of knowledge/ expertise/connections of other staff.
- Be creative and mature with a “can do”, proactive attitude and an ability to continuously “scan” the environment, identifying and taking advantage of opportunities for improvement.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Completion of certified Dental Assisting Training Program and valid California Radiology License.
- Current CPR from AHA approved organization.
- Knowledge of proper use of all dental materials and dental equipment and ability to assist dentist.
- Proficient in Microsoft office word, excel and outlook.
- One year of relevant dental clinic experience.
- Bilingual in Spanish.
- Experience with dental software system.
- Experience working with children.