3 full-time (40hrs/week)
I. Position Function Summary
Under the direction of the Dental Director, the Dental Assistant provides clinical support to the dentist and dental hygienist with usual and customary dental procedures and patient education, assuring patient safety and comfort.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Department or Functional Job Assignments
This description is intended to be generic in nature and to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty. Various duties, responsibilities and accountabilities may be assigned to an incumbent in this position depending on the specific department job assignment, and may include but not be limited to the following:
Dental Assistant Duties
- Receives patients and prepares them for dental procedures, both physically and emotionally; interviews and conducts preliminary assessment and triage of patients to determine reasons for visit, obtains dental health history and checks appropriate vitals, records data on clients chart;
- Assists dentists in usual and customary procedures, including four (4) handed dentistry;
- Provides dentists with all instruments and general materials used for procedures;
- Assists dental hygienist in usual and customary procedures to include tooth cleaning and polishing;
- Exposes, processes, and mounts X-rays both digitally and manually;
- Takes and pours up dental impressions under direction of a dentist;
- Prepares cases for lab including filling out lab slip and coordination with lab for pick up/delivery;
- Prepares instruments for sterilization and storage in trays; cleans and prepares equipment and examination rooms for patients and cleans rooms after each encounter and as needed; sterilizes, cleans, wraps, labels and autoclaves instruments, consistent with protocols;
- Maintains appropriate levels of office and dental supplies and other materials through timely and accurate inventory and requisition procedures; re-stocks and orders supplies in each exam room and treatment rooms;
- Assists LFMC patient education efforts, making available and distributing patient information and literature related to dental health promotion/disease prevention for all patient age categories;
- Maintains patient files in a timely and accurate manner by updating information pertaining to medication refills, laboratory reports/results, patient dental visits, and other patient data/information required by LFMC providers and protocols;
- Assists with conducting patient case management tasks and patient discharge plans to include patient referrals, prescription refills, and schedules specialty appointments; submits paperwork to the Patient Services Representative or other appropriate staff person;
- Trains and/or oversees student dental assistants.
Education and Experience
High School graduate or GED certificate and graduation from an ADA recognized certificate program is required with appropriate degree and/or certification such as Dental Assistant program. Three months related experience is required; or any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
Licenses and Certifications
State of New Mexico certification in Dental Assistant radiology, CPR is required; coronal polishing, fluoride treatment and sealant certifications are preferred.
Three (3) weeks of Annual Leave;
Up to two (2) weeks of annual Sick Leave;
Eight (8) paid holidays and two (2) days for personal leave.
Accruals and holidays are prorated for part-time employees.
Medical, dental and vision coverage available for staff and eligible family members, including domestic partners;
Paid term life insurance (flat $25,000) & short term disability;
Optional life, critical care;
Medical and dependent care expense accounts; health savings account;
403(b) retirement savings plan (eligible for company match after 12 months of employment).
Educational Assistance is available after 12 months’ employment.
Paid on a biweekly basis.