TITLE: Dental Assistant REPORTS TO: Director, Dental Services
LOCATION: 1545 Inwood Ave, Bronx, NY DEPARTMENT: Dental
POSITION STATUS: Full Time FLSA STATUS: Non - Exempt
SCHEDULE: Tuesday - Saturday 9AM - 5PM
***MUST BE ABLE TO WORK THE ABOVE SCHEDULE, NO EXCEPTIONS***
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
A full time position responsible for assisting the dentist(s) and dental hygienist(s) in the direct provision of dental services to patients of the center. The Dental Assistant is also responsible for sterilization, preparation and inventory control of dental instruments and supplies.
- Assists patients in resolving minor difficulties, answering their questions and giving directions to patients as authorized by the dentist or dental hygienist.
- Serves as Dentist�s or Dental Hygienist�s chair-side assistant.
- Prepares operatory for patient treatment as per dental clinic protocols and the Dentist�s or Dental Hygienist�s directions.
- Takes dental radiographs in accordance with state regulations and law as well as dental clinic directive and protocol.
- Maintains dental equipment in accordance with manufacturer�s directions and dental clinic�s policy and protocol.
- Maintains all dental clinic areas in compliance with directives and protocols as well as center policies and procedures relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues.
- Maintains adequate operatory supplies and compiles a list of individual item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
- Monitors patient flow, and assists the Dental Director, Dentist(s) and Dental Hygienist(s) in assuring that all patient records and documents are properly and accurately completed and entered into the computer.
- Receives and places necessary telephone calls consistent with professional matters, clinic business and patient care of the dental clinic.
- Insures the sterility of all reusable dental instruments and equipment in accordance with dental clinic�s directive and protocol.
- Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with dental clinic�s directive, center policy as well as state and federal regulation(s).
- Performs all functions in full compliance with the center�s and the dental clinic�s Exposure Control Plan including but not limited to the use of Personal Protective Equipment and Universal Precautions.
- As directed by Dental Director, performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
- Responsible for personal compliance in full with all applicable federal, state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures including but not limited to the participation of a Dental Assistant in the provision of clinical dental care, as well as those relating to, but not limited to personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality.
The above is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of the job it is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all the job functions
Requires a comprehensive knowledge of dental assisting techniques and procedures for all phases of general dentistry. Knowledge of modern dental materials, their storage, handling and applications is required. The Dental Assistant must be aware of the expectations and concerns of the center�s dental patients and be able to respond in an empathetic and professional manner. The ability to work with persons from a wide diversity of social, ethnic and economic backgrounds is necessary.
High school diploma or GED certificate. Certified Dental Assistant with completion of accredited course in Dental Assisting. Effective oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish required. Current CPR (BLS) required. Ability to attend to multiple tasks at the same time and to prioritize assignments and responsibilities to ensure compliance with established deadlines and protocols.