Responsible for the direct provision of oral hygiene and appropriate preventive services to dental patients. The Dental Hygienist will also be responsible for providing appropriate oral health information to individuals and groups. This position provides direct patient care and works under the direct supervision of the Staff Dentists and the Chief Dental Officer.
- Assists in the oral health management of all clinic patients.
- Obtains baseline oral hygiene assessment data based upon accepted principles of oral hygiene and periodontal care.
- Records patient-hygienist transactions as they occur in the patient’s dental record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided.
- Provides oral health education and appropriate individual counseling for all dental patients.
- Provides clinical oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis, scaling, sealant application and fluoride application consistent with accepted professional practices and standards and in compliance with applicable state law and the center’s clinical protocols.
- Integration of appropriate patient dental hygiene care with other health care professionals involved in the patient’s health care management.
- Organizes and performs preventive oral health presentations at on-site and off-site locations.
- Assists in the provision of technical assistance and health education in the community as requested.
- Participates in the PI program of the Dental Department.
- Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by a dentist in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Dental Department protocol and directive.
- Assists in the maintenance of all Dental Department areas in compliance with Dental Department directive and policies as well as center policies and procedures relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues.
- Receives and places necessary telephone calls consistent with professional matters, clinic business and patient care of the Dental Department.
- Assists with various clinical and administrative functions as appropriate and time permits.
- Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with Dental Department directive and policy as well as state federal regulations(s).
- Complies in full with the Exposure Control Plan.
- Travels when necessary to meet operational needs.
- As directed by a supervisor, performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
- Responsible for personal compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dental hygiene and the clinical provision of dental hygiene services as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- Graduation from an accredited school of dental hygiene
- Unrestricted license to practice Oral Hygiene in the State of Texas
- Current CPR (BLS) certification
- Previous experience working in a clinic setting a definite plus
- Bilingual/Medical Spanish is preferred but not required
- FTCA coverage or private professional malpractice insurance obtainable