Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at one of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
The Los Angeles Times has an opening for a deputy photo editor.
This manager is responsible for assigning and editing still pictures, audio, video and multimedia projects that surprise and inspire our readers.
They will be part of the visual leadership by initiating and developing photo tools, workflows, robotic cameras, CMS, secondary markets, large event coverage and editing for large events. The senior editor will also work with team members to select images for multiple platforms of the Los Angeles Times.
The successful candidate is imaginative and can inspire and educate others, push boundaries and take visuals to their highest potential.
Employees in this role devote the vast majority of their time to work that depends on diligence and accuracy as well as a high degree of invention, imagination, originality and talent.
- Develop workflows that get our content to market quicker with fewer touches
- Work with photo/video journalists to develop sophisticated storytelling
- Work to develop new tools to aid in storytelling
- Seek new commercial opportunities to market L.A. Times still and video assets
- Work to develop a robust archive and tool for selling our content
- May oversee photography staff and freelance photographers from time to time
- May appear on TV and radio on behalf of the L.A. Times and representing the company at conferences, seminars, professional meetings and employer-sponsored events
- Collaborate across departments and build relationships
- Create dynamic visual coverage in print and in the rapidly evolving digital environment as well as support the demands of social media that promotes the team’s work
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, the arts or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Strong skills in Adobe Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, Mac and Windows operating systems and multi-photographer high volume workflows
- At least 10 years of photo or visual experience at a major news publication or website. Preferable with a picture agency or wire service background
- Deep knowledge of sophisticated workflows that limit the touches required for end-to-end production
- Strong understanding of the secondary photo market
- Deep knowledge and direct experience with robotic cameras
- Excellent mentoring and collaborative skills
- Knowledge of journalism ethics, photographic usage and copyright issues
The management position is based in El Segundo, Calif. Occasional weekend and night shifts are expected.
Qualified candidates should apply via the link and be sure to upload a resume, cover letter and work samples to Calvin Hom, director of photography. Please note, the opportunity to attach additional documents appears on the third screen, and is labelled “Upload.”
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.