Design Engineer (Electrical)
Location: Chicago, IL
- The Technology & Breakthrough Innovation (T&BI) team drives the creation of new product solutions for client's customers by exploiting new technologies and enabling breakthrough product development for the fast-evolving intelligent grid. Technically sophisticated on the inside, client's future systems must deliver unparalleled user experience, outstanding long-term value, and profitable revenue streams. This role supports the development and production of vacuum-based technologies using specialized prototyping and testing laboratories that lead to new client breakthrough products.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conceptualize, design, prototype, and build unique vacuum interrupters that meet the required switchgear specifications and relevant industry standards. Propose design elements that are useful and novel, which have the potential for IP protection.
- Collaborate with switchgear engineers to trade-off performance attributes at the interfaces between the switchgear and vacuum interrupter.
- Self-starting investigations to seek root causes for design performance using formal problem-solving techniques.
- Design and test the performance of vacuum arc control structures.
- Author VI datasheets and design test programs to validate the performance of the product to the datasheet.
- Pursuing assignments with a "can do attitude and sense of urgency.
The following are the characteristics that you must have or, at a minimum, have the necessary background and training:
- MS or higher in Electrical Engineering or Applied Physics. Formal training in the design or application of medium voltage vacuum interrupters or related fields highly desirable.
- Proven track record of substantive contributions, both analytical and conceptual, to new product developments and successful commercialization.
- Strong skills in identifying risks, developing mitigation strategies, alternative solutions, and resolving issues independently and in collaboration with multidisciplinary team
- Track record of working independently and contributing to a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to manage time and multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to combine disparate ideas into unique solutions
- Strong verbal (presentation) and written (reports) skills
- Strong proficiency using 3D CAD, circuit simulation, electromagnetic field FEA, and other software programs to support engineering calculations or designs.
Major Physical Demands
- Standing: Occasional, during testing, sample preparation or process observation.
- Lifting: Occasional light lifting, infrequent lifting up to 50 lbs. for mock-up or test sample preparation.
- Walking: Occasional walking up to 1 mile within the company facility.
- Carrying: Occasional carrying of light objects for short distances.Environment: Physical demands are those mostly associated with a regular office environment.