Design Engineer - Seattle, WA
Why join ACCO? ACCO Engineered Systems is one of the largest mechanical contractors in the country. Since 1934, owners and builders have selected ACCO to design, install, and maintain more than 300,000 mechanical projects. ACCO is dedicated to the design, fabrication, installation, maintenance and service of commercial and industrial HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing, process piping, and building automation systems. Whether your project is a low or high-rise office building, a shopping mall, hospital, semi-conductor fabrication facility or pharmaceutical manufacturing plant. ACCO can design, build, install, and maintain a mechanical system to meet your needs.
Here at ACCO, we are a part of something bigger. Just ask our customers: Levi�s Stadium, California Berkeley Memorial Stadium, The California Academy of Sciences, and Sacramento International Airport. �While we have been around for 85+ years, we continue to grow at a dynamic pace. And we are looking for talented individuals to join our team. To read more about us, check out our ABOUT US section with current news and events.
A Design Engineer at ACCO is part of the largest design build engineering department in the country. As a member of the ACCO Engineering Department, a design engineer is responsible for every aspect of a project�s mechanical design. Working as part of a team, the engineer is expected to critically think through all aspects of a design resulting in a complete, clear, concise set of design drawings that is concurrently constructible, maintainable, efficient, and cost effective. The design engineer is the leader of the design effort with responsibility for communicating effectively to the project managers, trade partners, construction team, and customers. The skills obtained as a design engineer serve as the foundation for a variety of career opportunities within ACCO.
WHAT DOES THIS ROLE INVOLVE?
- Assist with engineering design project planning (i.e., conceptual design through construction drawing development).
- Complete code-required energy compliance and LEED documentation.
- Conduct engineering calculations, energy analysis, economic analysis, selection and layout of equipment, duct and piping system design.
- Understanding of applications engineering including psychometrics, refrigeration, acoustics, and controls systems.
- Assist with coordination of design and installation with Project Management, Construction and Service departments, Controls, and other trade partners.
- Field engineering: assist with project execution, site surveys, trade coordination, scheduling, document management and problem solving.
- Computer 2D and 3D modeling of HVAC or plumbing systems utilizing the latest modeling software.
- Effectively and professionally communicate with colleagues and project team members.
- Manage time to meet project schedules and task deadlines.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN A CANDIDATE?
- BS in Engineering or Construction Management.
- Prior intern experience with mechanical contractor and/or engineering consultant preferred, but not required.
- EIT Certificate highly desirable, but not required.
- Excellent understanding of Engineering fundamentals.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD or Revit, or similar drafting software preferred.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions)
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision and Distance vision.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, especially when conducting job site walks.
Our ideal person will have all these in addition to everything listed above:
- Proactivity / Initiative: Recognizes what needs to be done and accomplishes it in a manner appropriate for one�s level / position and with minimal supervision.
- Perseverance: Shows the wherewithal to fight for difficult goals despite challenges and to bounce back from adversity.
- Insight: The ability to gather and make sense of information that suggests new possibilities.
- Engagement: Shows a knack for using emotion and logic to communicate a persuasive vision and connect with people.
- Likeability: The ability to effectively work toward common goals with others by supporting, encouraging, and sharing information in an authentic and approachable manner.
- Big Picture: Understands and contributes to organizations� short- and long-term business strategy.� On a personal level has independently developed a vision for short- and long-term career success.
- Motivation / Dedication: Commits to excellence in pursuing unselfish goals.� Initiates action with collective goals, takes responsibility, and shows personal humility.
- Technical Curiosity / Willingness to Learn: Interest in seeking out new experiences, knowledge, and candid feedback; demonstrating an openness to learning and change.
- Problem-Solver: Ability to identify, analyze, and solve a problem in support of personal, group, department, or organizational objectives.
WHAT�S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Collaborative Company Culture - We have a diverse environment of skilled professionals - field construction workers, engineering, project managers, service technicians, and supporting staff - who collaborate together and make ACCO Engineered Systems an engaging place to work.
- Competitive Benefits - including medical plans, dental, vision, 401k & company match, supplemental insurance.
- ESOP � Employee Stock Ownership Program. An exciting benefit from us to you, free of cost to all eligible employees.
- Paid time off - including Holidays, Vacation, Sick Time, and Personal Time.
- Professional Development Programs � Educational reimbursements, Professional memberships, training programs, and career growth opportunities.
ACCO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AA M/F/V/D.
We proudly hire U.S. Military Veterans, and those qualified are encouraged to apply.
ACCO will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment.
At this time, ACCO is unable to provide visa sponsorship.