Design Leader – Corporate Interiors Studio
New York, NY
NBBJ is a design and architecture firm, fueled by ideas and a culture of collaboration. With offices around the globe, the diverse perspectives of your future colleagues and clients will inspire and challenge you to be extraordinary. Innovation and creativity are at the heart of our work: creating spaces and experiences that better connect people to each other as they live, learn, and work in their communities. We partner with pioneers like Amazon, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Massachusetts General Hospital and NYU Langone Health. We create solutions for tomorrow guided by our vision: we design for life. Are you interested in designing what’s next? Join us.
This role at a glance:
We are looking for a leader dedicated to design excellence, building client relationships and the practice - and working with teams to create transformational environments that elevate human experience. We are also looking for this person to love and be inspired by what they do!
The ideal candidate for this role can work both collaboratively and independently, is proactive in delivering success, is able to positively influence others — and can thrive in the face of ambiguity and changing conditions.
Why this role is important to NBBJ:
NBBJ is seeking a talented Design Leader to lend their expertise in building and expanding our New York Corporate practice. They are client and public-facing experts who are capable of designing and delivering projects of every scale. NBBJ is a design-driven practice seeking top talent; our work requires high-performance designers who possess strong communication skills and graphic abilities, as well as the ability to work within multiple platforms and understand a holistic approach to design.
Adept at building long-term strategic relationships as well as playing a design leadership role on projects, they will work closely with the Corporate Practice Leadership team to lead the work of design teams and providing inspiration, mentorship and guidance through an integrated delivery process.
With a legacy of innovation for more than 75 years, NBBJ is guided by a vision to design for life. Our mission is to imagine, to connect and to act. We are an award-winning global design and architecture firm, a creative company fueled by ideas, and a place where everyone is empowered to contribute to creating a better practice.
Recognized as the world’s most innovative architecture firm by Fast Company, we have partnered with some of the world’s leading companies and institutions — Google, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Samsung, Starbucks, and Amazon, among many others — to set new standards for performance, organizational culture, health and wellness, and design excellence.
In your new role, you will:
- Energize and inspire forward-thinking, creative design thought leadership
- Able to simplify complexity and distill issues to their essence for timely, enlightened decision-making
- A strong desire to educate, mentor and push design dialogue within the New York office
- Grow the Corporate practice: develop and execute new and existing client relationships through a deep understanding of client enterprise and needs
- An excellent key seller of design ideas and a strong client relationship leader
- Able to eloquently speak with and present to clients
- Adept at the integration of strategic programming and design
- Appreciates diversity in people, ideas and style
- Has the desire to have a positive impact on others
- Bring a strong desire to educate, mentor and push design dialogue
- Be an excellent key seller of design ideas and a strong client relationship leader
- Be able to eloquently speak with and present to clients
- Be adept at the integration of strategic programming and design
- Appreciate diversity in people, ideas and style
- Have the desire to have a positive impact on others
- Driven to action, implementation and conclusion, able to respond nimbly to changing circumstances
- Undaunted by ambiguity
- Derives insight, discovers and applies new ideas to transform past practices and set new design directions
- Articulate; skillfully engages and communicates with colleagues and clients
- Seeks feedback and adjusts behavior to successfully adapt to diverse styles
- Driven by a desire to collaboratively elevate design, with a good balance of EQ and IQ
- Curious; a strong communicator; transparent; self-confident; accountable; has a positive attitude
What you will need to succeed:
- Must be an expert in Corporate design with a deep understanding of NBBJ’s work and the New York Market
- 15+ years as a Lead Designer with a proven record of building high performing teams
- Architectural or NCIDQ licensure
- LEED accreditation or within 18 months of hire
- Proven ability to build business and deliver complex Corporate projects, at all scales
- Skilled at viewing the world through the client’s lens
- A great communicator and storyteller with an engaging and energetic personality
- At least 1 large corporate interiors project built in the New York area or north-eastern United States
- Strong conceptual design and schematic design skills
- Must possess a keen interest in challenging the norms of the corporate interiors market, and an ability to provide forward-thinking concepts with great clarity
- Strong verbal and graphic communication skills, effective client relationship skills and a talent for working with diverse teams of architects and design professionals
- Ability to work in Revit, with 3D modeling skills a plus
- Ability to lead design process and client interactions
- Demonstrated knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, desired
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong relationships and connections with corporate clients across the Eastern United States is required (New York focus)
- Results-oriented: ability to independently analyze, synthesize information and take action
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and collaborative environment