Manages new product development and value engineering projects under the direction of the Engineering Manager.
- Manages projects from concept through design and verification and into product realization; coordinates with other functional departments for successful integration of the product design.
- Analyzes marketing and engineering proposals, application or process requirements, and related technical data pertaining to design.
- Develops and verifies new designs, processes, and materials. Responsible for the preparation of drawings, specifications, sequences, and other related engineering documentation.
- Conducts analytical studies on marketing and engineering proposals to develop design for products, equipment, machines, associated and subsystems components, and structures.
- Conducts value engineering studies on design for products, associated and subsystems components, and structures to verify the product meets the market requirements.
- Analyzes data to determine feasibility of product proposal.
- Directs and coordinates manufacturing or building of prototype product or system.
- Plans and develops experimental test programs.
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Uses computer-assisted engineering software and equipment.
- Applies engineering principles to design, modify, or develop facilities, testing, machines, equipment or processes.
- Analyzes product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine designs that can be produced by existing manufacturing or processing facilities and methods.
- Prevents or eliminates defects in new or existing products.
- Supports the planning, layout and development of product configuration systems.
- Prepares or directs preparations of product or business system layout and detailed drawings and schematics.
- Supports design engineering to clarify or resolve problems and develop designs.
- Supports operations and quality personnel with technical issues related to core competencies.
- May conduct failure analysis of customer returns/products and prepare documentation for submittal and/or review.
- Support of and involvement in company, department, and/or safety policies, procedures, programs and activities.
- Studies engineering and technical publications to keep abreast of technological changes and developments in industry.
- Maintenance of a clean and orderly work area
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in Mechanical Engineering or related technical field with five or more years related experience and/or training in a related field.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects and have experience in a product development environment. Familiar with product testing and verification methods.
- Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software.
- Familiar with Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Solid Modeling (3D) software. Understanding of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) methods and software.
- Mechanical engineering skills with a preference for heat transfer, fluid transfer, electrical power systems, and industrial product design experience. Familiar with manufacturing processes such as heavy equipment manufacturing, welding technology, control panel, materials technology, manufacturing methods technology. Pressure vessel design and manufacturing experience with knowledge or experience with ASME (Section VIII & Section I), PED, ATEX, NEC, NACE, ANSI, and TEMA a plus.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret product or customer specifications, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.