Readers 2 Leaders (R2L) seeks a full time Development Manager to help support our mission to develop and grow the reading skills of children in Dallas, ages 3-12 yrs. The Development Manager works closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to secure funds needed to advance the work of Readers 2 Leaders. This role takes primary responsibility for working with the ED to prospect, secure, and steward individual donors, as well as conducting individual donor initiatives. This role oversees staff and/or contractors who write and manage grants, plan special events, and manage the database and donor recognition programs; and works with the Executive Director and Board to develop and steward major gifts and donor relationships. The Development Manager must have strong skills in both organization and relationship-building, an ability to multitask, strong communication skills, and a proactive approach to their role.
Readers 2 Leaders is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to helping all children in Dallas read at or above grade level. Our mission is to develop and grow the reading skills of children in Dallas ages 3-12 so that they succeed in school and graduate and prepared to live productive lives.
We recognize that students who don't read on grade level by third grade are four times less likely to graduate high school, and we work to help all our students beat the odds. We operate Booktown, home of our flagship After-School Program and community lending library. We also provide in- and after-school reading tutoring within Dallas ISD and charter school networks.
- Steward individual donors and funding partners at all levels of giving, with particular attention to individual donors at $9,999 and below and grant funders at $49,999 and below. Work with ED to manage and recognize higher-level donors
- Assist Executive Director (ED) in setting goals for fundraising and creating an annual development plan at the start of each fiscal year
- Implement and oversee organizational marketing and messaging strategy. Oversee development associate, program staff, and grant writer as they integrate messaging into digital, social media, and print marketing and fundraising materials. Create content for high-level print and digital communications.
- Direct and manage individual fundraising appeals, including: North Texas Giving Day and the End of Year appeal.
- Work with ED and R2L board as they work to research, cultivate, recruit, and schedule prospective donors for tours and other development activities. Notify ED and Board when they need to take action regarding a particular donor or funder.
- Work with ED to increase participation in R2L’s major giving society, Literacy Champions
- Oversee timely submission of grant applications and reports throughout the year in collaboration with the Grant Writer (external/contract position)
- Work with Grant Writer to ensure grant pipeline is robust with existing and new opportunities.
- Work with Board of Directors and program staff to tailor fundraising toward the success of the strategic plan.
- Oversee work of Development Associate, who will manage Bloomerang database to ensure timely entry of information and manage reports to ensure ability to react promptly to donor needs.
- Oversee the work of the Development Associate and Event Coordinator (external/contract position) to execute fundraising events, including: fall gathering and Lanes 2 Literacy. Collaborate with Executive Director to secure sponsors for Lanes 2 Literacy.
- Partner with the Volunteer Coordinator to develop new opportunities for partnership with corporations and community groups.
- Develop appropriate donor relations and stewardship plan and oversee plan’s implementation by Development Associate.
- Work with board development committee to set annual goals and include board members in stewardship of key donors and funders.
- Bachelor's degree (four year college or technical school)
- At least 3 years of experience in the development field, preferably in the social sector; time as a volunteer may be included
- Demonstrated success in recruiting and managing individual donors and/or grant funders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are crucial to the success of this role
- Experience in marketing and communications, including MailChimp and social media, is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience managing a donor database is preferred
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge/experience with content creation, writing or general communications
- Self motivated, proactive innovator a plus
- Experience in grant writing or work within the non-profit sector is a plus
Salary and Benefits:
- $50-60,000 per year, commensurate with experience
- Full-time employee health insurance premiums paid by R2L
- Dental and vision plans available
- Retirement plan
- 25 days paid time off per year plus some holidays
Start Date: September 1, 2019
If interested, please submit a cover letter and resume. Submissions that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.