Do you have a passion for writing and media outreach?
Are you an organized deadline-driven individual who enjoys a variety of communications-oriented work?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
Your primary responsibility will be producing internal and external communications for two audiences:
Internal communications aimed at engaging APL staff members in the organization's strategic vision, mission and values; and
External communications to interest media outlets and the public in the important research, discoveries and critical contributions of APL staff members to challenges facing the nation
Youwill work with our social media lead to developrelevant social media strategy and posts and be an advocate for APL stories.
You will regularly contribute to our internal, bi-weekly staff newsletter.
You will follow and uphold editorial guidelines.
You will participate in campaigns and rollouts for various APL-wide and organization-specific initiatives.
You will work with other departments to ensure consistency in messaging to staff and external audiences.
- Have 1-5 years of relevant experience.
- Have a Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
- Have strong writing and communications skills, including previous experience writing news stories, blogs, and/or technical stories.
- Have experience engaging with social media platforms and metrics.
- Have an ability to work in a dynamic environment as an agile member of a team.
- Possess a strong attention to detail, organization and follow-through.
- Have ability to work on deadline, set priorities, and work independently.
- Have strong verbal communication skills with an ability to present ideas coherently and persuasively.
- The ability to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You meet our desired qualifications if you...
- Possess proficiency in AP style.
- Experience with ASANA, Sprout and Meltwater
- Have effectively worked across multiple levels of an organization.
- Have a working knowledge of content management systems and trends in social media.
- Have experience producing videos or writing scripts.
- Have a Master's degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.