Director Wireless & Switch Network Operations
GCI's Director Wireless & Switch Network Operations, provide leadership and management for GCI’s cellular voice, data, and network voice switch platforms. Recommend actions for continuous improvement of GCI’s wireless and switch operation. Ensure that all network assets and facilities supporting wireless and switch architectures are maintained to meet the expected life cycles.
Essential Duties of Position:
- This is a leadership role which directs the work of several team members including managers and/or senior managers within a specialized area; has profit and loss responsibility for the department and is accountable; works with directors, senior directors and/or vice presidents of given department in developing departmental short and long-range objectives, plans, budget and policies. Sets the tone for continuing training requirements of key individuals to ensure that the team is prepared to take full advantage of advances in the technologies used by the company to improve and add new services for our customers.
- Communication of company vision, initiatives and strategic goals to employees within the department. Create and foster a collaborative work environment
- Responsible for hiring, leading, developing and managing the performance by those reporting to this position; establishes and communicates clear performance expectations, makes recommendations for personnel advancement and salary increases. Provide timely annual performance reviews to all direct reports, and ensure that all employees within the department receive annual performance reviews on time. Responsible for team results and recommends and /or approves promotions, demotions, transfers or disciplinary actions up to and including termination. Maintains union free workforce through effective communication and regular feedback to employees regarding their performance against expectations, and use of effective performance recognition of groups involved.
- Oversee development of career plans for all employees in the operations department.
- Creates a professional work environment for operations personnel. Mentors less experienced managers and supervisors. Encourages professional development and continuing education for all employees.
- Provide operational management and support of wireless cellular voice/data technologies, WiFi, and voice switching networks ensuring that all networks meet availability and performance metrics. Provide Tier-2 support for all operational networks.
- Development, implementation and monitoring of Key Performance Indicators and recommend actions for performance improvement. Collaborate with engineering department to develop and distribute network KPI reports to internal and external customers. Ensure network trouble tickets are managed to provide assignment, dispatch and resolution within department or external customer SLA timelines.
- Create, maintain, and implement operation plans for each network. Operations plans include documented preventative and emergency maintenance processes and procedures, staffing, training, safety, and reporting of operational status of all networks per documented performance SLA. Ensure that wireless switch facilities remain in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Support Regulatory in evaluating and responding to Notices of Proposed Rulemaking by the FCC, state compliance, and other federal compliance requirements.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external customers in defining Service Level Requirements.
- Responsible for operational and capital budget development and management under department and company guidelines. Provide financially efficient stewardship for all approved capital and operating budgets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Technical knowledge- Knowledge of advanced wireless communication systems and the future direction of wireless products and platforms. Knowledge of analog and digital voice switch platforms and future direction of such platforms.
People skills- Demonstrated ability to manage performance through motivation and counseling of different levels of employees in an Operational environment. Collaborative approach to interfacing with Project, Engineering, and Business groups to resolve technical and customer related issues.
Leadership- Proven ability to lead an organization to high levels of performance while maintaining morale and personal growth for employees in a union free environment. Skills necessary to develop and maintain a team required to produce expected results. Lead by an example of principles and policies developed by GCI executive management.
Organizational skills-Ability to develop the organization necessary to meet the group mission and to interface with other units within GCI.
Communications skills: Excellent verbal and written communication required. Must be able to articulate technical information in presentation format in front of internal and external customers.
Financial skills: Ability to develop detailed capital and operating budgets. Ability to communicate and lead the department to meet department and financial goals.
- Minimum twelve years of relevant wireless and voice switch telecommunications experience with five years managerial experience in positions of Director level responsibility for the successful growth, operation, maintenance, and availability of network assets.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Bachelors of Science degree within Engineering discipline or relevant field of study required. In addition to minimum experience required, additional relevant exempt work experience and technical education can substitute for degree on a year for year basis.
- Business Management professional experience highly valued. PhD, Masters in relevant field of study may contribute toward professional experience on a year for year basis.
Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and may contribute toward education.
Physical Requirements: Office Position: Ability to perform sedentary work. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Ability to lift and carry up to 20 lbs.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in a standard office environment or remote offices during a normal 40 hour workweek with additional hours to meet deadlines. Interaction with upset customers, vendors, or employees may occur. Regular travel for business and training purposes is required.
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact numbers.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, and responsibilities required of employees assigned to this job.