Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Privacy and security are central to everything we do at Facebook. The legal department works across the company to develop and implement processes and safeguards to protect the personal information of our users. Facebook is seeking a talented Director & Associate General Counsel to join the legal privacy team supporting Facebook's regulatory engagement with privacy regulators globally. This is a highly visible role that requires strategic thinking, excellent stakeholder management, technical know-how, and operational excellence. The successful candidate thrives in an ambiguous, cross-functional environment where they are able to work with multiple stakeholders to understand different perspectives and provide discussion frameworks to enable trade-offs and decisions. This role will manage a team of privacy attorneys and non attorneys.
1. Lead engagement strategy and facilitate global coordination of proactive engagement with privacy regulators globally
2. Provide process support and counseling to teams responsible for ensuring Facebook’s products and services are reviewed for privacy compliance, so that the process is designed to ensure compliance with applicable laws and privacy obligations
3. Design and execute on training for legal teams responsible for counseling on privacy and Facebook’s products
4. Track privacy developments including regulator decisions and judgments to ensure relevant teams understand impact to their advice
5. Work with a cross-functional set of stakeholders to ensure requests and inquiries by privacy regulators are properly managed and coordinated internally
6. Support the development and management of Facebook’s terms and privacy policies
7. J.D. (or foreign equivalent) with membership in at least one U.S. state bar
8. 12+ years of legal experience, including people management
9. Experience advising clients on legal issues related to privacy and data use, including the collection, use, storage and disclosure of personal information
10. Experience with social media or online platforms
11. Process/project management experience
12. Experience interacting with regulatory and/or government agencies
13. Knowledge and application of international privacy and data use regulations
14. Privacy certification (e.g. CIPP or CIPM or similar)
Equal Opportunity: Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.