The Director, Business Development will facilitate business development and lead planning and building of strategic relationships and alliances in collaboration with Research and Clinical faculty who are conducting or wish to conduct research clinical trials. The Director is responsible for strategy, relationships and business development while supporting programmatic strategic goals.
In this role you will develop relationships with key internal and external partners, track and provide financial analyses of payout targets (milestones), serve as a liaison across internal teams and between project staff and business partners, and track programmatic goals and results in coordination with leadership.
You would represent the Joslin Diabetes Center to external constituencies. This could include formal and informal presentations such as making speeches, attending conferences, committee representation and other meetings. May serve on committees and working groups. Writes and produces informative briefings, reports, email updates, and other materials. Understanding of the clinical trials process, product development, product introduction, regulatory environment and GH R&D policy issues.
- Leads and supports scientific and clinical business development. Assists in the development of proposals and supports partnering technology and clinical trial efforts with prospective clients, shepherding agreements through the contracting process and ensuring seamless transition to implementation stage.
- Acts as the primary relationship owner for customers in services, product alliances and technology development. Champions the program and customer needs internally, particularly with research and clinical faculty performing research clinical trials and staff.
- Maintains communication with customers, vendors and partners.
- Collaborates with Office of Sponsored Research to manage program timelines and budgets with customers as necessary to achieve desired outcomes. Helps determine the appropriate allocation of resources necessary to meet program and customer requirements.
- Develops and executes plans to grow programs.
- Works closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Office of Sponsored Research and Chief Scientific Officer to develop project and annual budgets and strategic/operating reviews.
- Negotiate and implement, portfolio of Research and Development projects in collaboration with the Principal Investigator.
- Have an understanding of and communicate scientific principals applicable to Joslin’s portfolio to internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree, MBA a plus
- Concentration and understanding of the sciences, degree a plus
- 10 years of pharmaceutical or healthcare business development and project management experience required, including client relationship and budget management responsibilities. Experience in creating business models, pricing and negotiating deals. Experience in health care delivery or pharmaceutical industry preferred, but not required
- Connections and networks within the local and global R&D communities is desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to effectively synthesize information to reach diverse audiences and create consensus
- Experience working in a constantly changing environment with ambiguity and productively helping teams manage change
- Comfortable working in an academic non-profit, mission driven environment
- Strong analytic and strategic skills. Comfort and confidence with finance and economic issues involved with P&L management, budgets, ROI analyses, pricing, etc.
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Experience in working with staff at all levels
- Self-starter with ability to balance both high-level strategy setting with more detailed, hands-on execution
- Leadership presence
- Broad base of knowledge within healthcare and ability to think creatively and quickly
- Ability to work with and create high performing teams and execute high-quality work
- Focused attention to detail in all aspects of a program
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.