The Director of the Division of Neurology for Stamford Health oversees clinical staff, patient care and related activities for diseases of the nervous system, encompassing the inpatient neuro-hospitalist service, stroke services including acute thrombectomy, outpatient general and specialized neurology care and the neurodiagnostic laboratory. The Director provides leadership through planning, organizing, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the care provided for patients in Stamford Hospital and at Stamford Health Medical Group sites. Specific administrative responsibilities are outlined in the attached description, and include education and teaching, peer review and credentialing, development of clinical protocols and other activities to assure safe, high quality patient care in all inpatient and ambulatory care activities. The Director collaborates with the Chair of Medicine and the leadership of the Medical Group to fully develop and implement Neurology programs, including expansion of services in relation to the needs of the community and Stamford Health. In keeping with the mission of Stamford Hospital and its designation as a Planetree hospital, the Division of Neurology is committed to provide patient-centered care by personalizing, humanizing and demystifying the healthcare experience for patients and their families.
The Director of the Division of Neurology will also provide physician leadership for the Neurosciences Service Line at Stamford Health. Clinical services covered by the Neurosciences Service Line, in addition to Neurology, include Neurosurgery, Spine Surgery and related programs, Pain Management and Geriatrics. The physician leader of the Neurosciences Service Line will collaborate with administrative and nursing leaders of the service line and with directors and clinical staff of its component clinical services. S/he will be responsible for oversight of the operations, strategy, and business development of the service line, in partnership with Stamford Health executive leadership.
Stamford Hospital is a major educational affiliate of the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University. The Director of the Division of Neurology will be proposed for a faculty appointment in the Department of Neurology there and will participate in educational collaborations with Columbia. Opportunities for clinical research are available at Stamford Health, in collaboration with the Office of Research, which currently supports over 300 clinical trials.
The Director of the Division of Neurology must be appointed to the Medical Staff of Stamford Hospital and remain a member in good standing. S/he should be certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and in her/his subspecialty, if any. Seven years of clinical practice in Neurology and clinical leadership and/or program development experience are required.
Attachment 1. Description of Administrative Duties for Division Directors
The Division Director provides clinical, administrative and educational leadership in collaboration with the Chair of the Department, Stamford Health and Stamford Health Medical Group leadership, as well as with the physicians, nurses and other staff in her/his division.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As outlined in the Bylaws of the Stamford Hospital Medical Staff, and the Rules & Regulations of the Department of Medicine, the Division Director is responsible for all professional and administrative activities within the division, including patient care, call and coverage schedules, medical record documentation, education, peer review, credentialing and research, as appropriate. This may include overseeing, planning, coordinating, monitoring, and evaluating relevant specialty care and the development of inpatient and outpatient protocols and procedures.
- Make recommendations to the Chair of Medicine regarding appointments and reappointments to the division. Review relevant applications to the Medical Staff and interview applicants.
- Ensure clinical competency of practitioners in the division through ongoing and focused professional practice evaluations. Mentor physicians as needed.
- Advise the Chair, Hospital and Medical Group leadership on clinical and operational performance improvements such as timely and appropriate access to services, operational efficiency, and quality and safety standards for clinical services, and on opportunities to expand and enhance clinical services.
- Coordinate teaching in her/his specialty for residents and medical students, in collaboration with the residency program director and medical student coordinator. Plan and provide internal and external educational programs for physicians, nurses and other staff, including speaking engagements and outreach activities to advance the division’s programs within the community.
- Membership on Medical Staff and Multi-Disciplinary Committees as requested.
- Attend Department of Medicine Division Directors meetings and other departmental and Medical Staff meetings, as necessary.
- Collaborate with the Chair and the Director of the Hospitalist Division to assure uniform quality and compliance with hospital protocols, rules, and regulations on the inpatient services of Stamford Health, by the members of the Division.
- Submit annual reports for the division to the Department for incorporation in the Annual Report of the Department of Medicine.
- Apply for and maintain a faculty appointment at the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University
- Additional specialty-specific and other duties and responsibilities as outlined in the accompanying preface.
Reports To: Chair, Department of Medicine & Chief Medical Officer, Stamford Health Medical Group