University is recruiting a Director of Educational Technology, a specialist to lead strategic technological innovation and operations for teaching, learning, and instructional design at the School. The Director serves as a point of connection between medical education, pedagogy, and the use of current and emerging technologies across classroom, online, clinical skills, and other learning environments and contexts. This position directs staff effort and proposes resource allocation in support of the technological components of the full range of degree and training programs, including undergraduate (MD), physician assistant, physical therapy, graduate medical education, and continuing medical education, working with instructional design, videography, AV, and media services personnel across School and Education units. The Director ensures that Schools investments in teaching and learning technologies enable, inform, and serve continuous and innovative fulfillment of the school’s teaching and training missions. As the principle schools lead with expertise in educational technologies, the Director will represent such interests across school and university committees, as appropriate.
- Partner with faculty, staff and students to set school strategy for creating distinctive and innovative educational experiences using technology both inside and outside the classroom. Maintain active connections with peer and industry partners to stay apprised of new and emerging academic technologies in a way that directly informs innovation and investments in education. Build relationships with curricular leadership and teaching faculty to support and further develop an institutional vision for educational technologies.
- Research, develop and recommend prioritization, budgeting and resource planning in support of delivering world-class technology-enhanced learning spaces and educational technology solutions to the Feinberg community.
- Promote and support teaching and learning innovations at the School; actively serve as an advisor for faculty, students and staff on best practices for integrating technology into teaching and learning and propose solutions for the same. Provide leadership for, and be responsible for implementing technology that helps develop innovative course content, and new teaching & learning experiences. Provide leadership for the deployment of tools, solutions and platforms needed for these distinctive educational experiences.
- Champion the needs of the School; serve as the liaison to internal and external resources and partners, representing interests in administrative systems and other services. Develop, execute and lead an advisory group inclusive of diverse stakeholders (teachers, learners, and education administrators) to ensure that technologies, services, and regular innovation and experimentation correspond with and support School’s educational mission.
- Collaborate with technology leaders at other schools across the University campus and represent School at industry conferences.
- Represent School at national consortiums and maintain an active presence in professional learning networks such as the AAMC/GIR and Educause.
- Responsible for the leadership and management of employees assigned to the organization. Responsible for assessing staffing to support educational technology, recruiting and selecting, developing and coaching, rewarding and retaining, and optimizing talent. Collaborate with departments on existing and/or needed investments to technology and related staffing to develop comprehensive school-wide model for technology base-line and staffing.
- Bachelors’ degree required. Masters’ degree preferred (Education or Communications major preferred).
- 10+ years of total work experience including:
- 5+ years of experience in deploying and managing technology tools and solutions.
- 3+ years of management
- Expertise in educational computing, multimedia technology, application development and new learning technologies.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Detailed understanding of relevant business and technical knowledge.
- Ability to resolve issues quickly and make decisions that meet university objectives, in a collaborative culture.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff.
- Exceptional customer relationship skills, consensus building skills, and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Experience as a teacher trainer, and/or professional development instructor.
- Experience designing or converting courses for online/blended delivery.
- Demonstrated experience of identifying technology tools and solutions that can meet the teaching/learning needs of an institution.
- Experience in designing & conducting teaching/learning experiments to help inform and elaborate the strategy and plan around innovative educational experiences.
- Demonstrated record of developing and managing innovative and effective teaching and learning technologies and learning spaces in support of the educational enterprise.
- Deep understanding of teaching and learning methods and practice and pedagogy and how they impact and are supported by technology, learning spaces and services.
- Strong technical understanding of enterprise level systems that support teaching and learning (Canvas, curriculum management, evaluation, assessment, video capture, high-fidelity simulation, etc.)
- Ability to translate vision into practice through competency in the analysis of emerging technologies, budgeting and planning, assessment and evaluation, and metrics driven technology service management.
- Demonstrated skills in leading a team-base staff and collaborating across disciplines.
- Proven record of the ability to communicate with and influence key stakeholders in the educational arena including; deans, department chairs, course directors, and other educational IT professionals across the university setting.
- Record of impact beyond current institution including: publications, participation in professional organizations, and inter-institutional collaborations preferred.
- Successful grant writing, participation in scholarly publication and management experience preferred.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Interest in and ability to conduct industry and peer research to understand the educational technology landscape.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with classroom workflows and technologies.
- Demonstrated understanding of end-to-end workflows around teaching and learning experiences from the faculty and students perspective.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with various development tools and digital communications and media production technologies.
- Ability to display creativity and originality in translating ideas into various media, including live experiments and exercises.
- Knowledge of techniques involved in writing, editing and directing media productions.
- Working understanding of the broad technology landscape and the trends; demonstrated ability to learn new technologies.