director, Emerging Technologies, Starbucks Technology - Seattle, WA190007965Starbucks
At Starbucks, our digital products and in-store technologies aretransforming our customers’ experience in incredible ways. Millions ofcustomers and over 25% of our US business transact through our mobile and webapps, and billions of dollars pass through our digital platform every year. Wehave over 30,000 stores, supporting hundreds of thousands of store employees(we call them partners) and millions of customers across the globe everyyear—and we’re building more every day. The opportunities to innovate at ourglobal scale are limitless, and you can come help define the next generation ofdigital and physical experiences for our diverse and savvy customers. Here atStarbucks Technology, our teams power moments of connection between ourcustomers and partners, and build the innovations that drive our core business.
Starbucks Emerging Technology is a small team empowered to identifyproblems and new opportunities that will enable our business and deliverinnovative solutions for our partners and customers. We deliver compellingtechnical prototypes & nascent capabilities using cutting-edge technologieslike IoT, machine learning, vision & object recognition and naturallanguage processing (NLP), and our own robust cloud-based services &digital payment platform created and supported by the talented engineers inStarbucks Technology. We foster a culture where we fail fast, learn, improve,and iterate quickly. We embrace diversity, accountability, creative thinking,radical inclusion, and a healthy skepticism of the status quo. We seek out thelatest technologies and the right capabilities to solve our biggest businessand technical problems.
To help us continue on our mission, we are seeking a director,emerging technology to join the Starbucks Technology leadership team. Inthis role, you will lead the innovation agenda for Starbucks Technology and bean essential part of its strategic transformation. You will support and scaleyour team, who will be the go-to experts on key technology trends like machinelearning, artificial intelligence, IoT, 5G, and more—and help turn them intoindustry-leading reality at Starbucks scale.
We expect you to be passionate, to regularly challenge the statusquo, and lead by our Starbucks mission and values. You will have a relentlesspursuit of excellence and exemplify leadership in the innovation space. Youmust be a courageous leader who can lead through behavioral and structuraltransformation. Additionally, your commitment to community is imperative—it’spart of our company DNA.
- Lead and scale a high-functioning, passionate team of engineersand product managers
- Provide hands-on, operational leadership and inspiration
- Strategically collaborate and support cross-functional teams toidentify key new problem spaces and opportunities
- Coach, develop and inspire our next generation of innovation leadership
- Globally position Starbucks as a global innovation leader throughyour contributions, of disrupting traditional retail and digital experiences
- Inspire and educate our most senior leaders of what is possible indefining the next 50 years of Starbucks
- Establish and infuse and innovation driven mindset across alltechnology teams at Starbucks
- Demonstrate the highest levels of integrity and forge trusting,open, and productive working relationships throughout the organization andexternal to Starbucks
- Build relationships and influences inside and outside the stores—withfocus on community
- Identify, develop, and make the case for operationalization ofemerging technologies that will enhance our customer and partner experience,deliver operational efficiencies, or help promote our mission & values
- Develop and apply appropriate innovation prioritizationframeworks, to drive resource allocation to the areas with the highest longterm customer and business value ; drive execution thought the lens of businessdriven outcomes
- Build and develop a team and culture that can be a guidepost toother teams in the organization, through great culture and significant valuedelivery
- Support a rotational program of partners through the innovationlifecycle
- Elevate, coordinate and execute in fast track timelines
- 15+ years of experience in technology-focused organizations
- 10+ years of leading cross-disciplinary product and engineering teams
- Ability to apply multidisciplinary knowledge and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations
- Strong software engineering fundamentals
- Strong interpersonal skills, building an effective network of relationships inside and outside Starbucks.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, as an advocate for technology solutions.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with proven ability to design pragmatic solutions
- Demonstrated experience of partnership with industry leading technology companies and start-ups
- B2B/B2C experience, with a demonstrated understanding of both Retail and Quick Serve Restaurant (QSR) businesses
Starbucks and itsbrands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committedto creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners withdiverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meetour mission and values while serving customers throughout our globalcommunities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons withdisabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualifiedapplicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in amanner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporationis committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants withdisabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability,please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email email@example.com