Stericycle is currently seeking a Director of External Reporting based in our Lake Forest, IL office. This role is responsible for the entire external reporting process across six key areas: financial statement preparation, press release creation, script preparation, supporting presentation, internal communication, and SEC compliance; and provides the highest levels of consistency and cohesiveness in messaging across all six areas.
Key Job Activities:
1) Direct and manage the preparation of financial statements, footnotes and other information presented throughout the SEC filings. Coordinate and validate data across the organization to ensure filings are compliant with policy and accounting standards (e.g. GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley). Identify inconsistencies, errors, and/or issues and develops, and presents to management, a plan of action and/or conclusion. Provide analytical and operational support in response to queries from the SEC and other stakeholders.
2) Monitor and analyze changes to accounting policy (e.g. GAAP) and SEC issues / interpretations. Summarize the impact of relevant changes to the organization’s accounting and financial reporting. Provide guidance and advice to other departments in response to questions or problems relating to accounting treatment of certain issues, as necessary.
3) Develop, communicate and manage reporting requirements and timelines. Identify opportunities to improve internal controls and improve processes to drive efficiencies.
4) Drive the creation of or update to standard operating procedures around external reporting processes.
5) Proactively evolve key disclosures related to key risk factors and the overall MD&A sections of our company’s reports. Benchmark these factors against other world class companies.
6) Ensure external financial reporting and other areas of responsibility are in compliance with internal control policies and procedures.
7) Lead, research and identify trends on best practices for external reporting. Interact with subject matter experts to provide insightful recommendations on: MD&A sections, disclosure effectiveness, SEC comment letter trends, strategic initiative communication, and emerging technologies
Bachelor's degree in accounting and a Certified Public Accountant designation
8 to 10 years of experience in Accounting with proven management experience
A minimum of four years of public accounting; public company experience preferred
Must possess a deep technical knowledge of US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
Experience in effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills capable of interacting with staff, peers, and senior leadership including the CEO, CFO, and General Counsel competently and effectivel