Director, Human Resources Business Partner (Research & Development)
Agios (agios.com) is a biopharmaceutical company committed to applying our scientific leadership in cellular metabolism to transform the lives of patients with cancer and rare genetic diseases. We are growing rapidly with an active research and discovery pipeline across both therapeutic areas. Agios has two approved oncology precision medicines and multiple first-in-class investigational therapies in clinical and/or preclinical development.
Agios Pharmaceuticals is searching for a senior HR Business Partner to join our team. The HR Business Partner will work closely with R&D leadership to enable innovation and the development of talent within our organization. We are driven by delivering meaningful outcomes for patients and creating an engaging and inclusive work environment for our people. The ideal candidate is committed to fostering a patient-centric culture, can partner effectively with various functional leaders and cross-functional teams, and has the ability to adapt and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP: Lead human resources initiatives that drive results and accelerate innovation. Align strategic and tactical business plans into a practical and effective human resource agenda. Support and enable the Research & Development organization by providing expertise on all HR aspects of the business. Partner with senior leaders to develop and implement solutions to organizational and people-related challenges based upon HR expertise and in-depth understanding of the business. Provide leadership on matters of performance management, effective communication, organizational change and the creation of a winning culture. Develop and implement change management initiatives which facilitate/enable organizational growth and transformation and effect continuous improvement. Establish credibility throughout the organization and position self as an effective problem solver of people and organizational issues. Coach and develop leaders, supporting them while engaging in critical people activities and enabling them to make sound decisions.
- ORGANIZATION EFFECTIVENESS: Develop and implement organizational development/design strategies which align with business aspirations and drive optimal business results. Partner with management to remove barriers in order to drive operational transformation across all areas of the business. Lead the effort for continuous improvement of leadership capability and organizational efficiency.
- TALENT ACQUISITION: Partner with the R&D leadership team to develop proactive organizational staffing strategies to recruit and retain top caliber talent in a high-performance environment.
- REWARD AND RECOGNITION: In partnership with HR colleagues and R&D leadership, develop and implement progressive and competitive total reward programs and practices which provide motivation, incentives and rewards for effective employee performance.
- EMPLOYEE RELATIONS: Act as senior advisor on all employee relations issues and effectively communicate to all levels of employees. Facilitate employee conflict resolution and the reduction of employee relations issues with a pragmatic approach grounded in business need and results. Handle sensitive matters with confidentiality and executive maturity.
- PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT: Develop, strengthen and implement appropriate programs to facilitate optimal performance of all R&D employees. Manage performance evaluation system in pursuit of a culture of accountability and results-orientation, linking organizational and employee performance. Provide ongoing direct and actionable performance coaching and feedback to the organization’s leaders. Oversee annual performance management cycle and compensation planning for the R&D organization.
- EMPLOYEE COMMUNICATION: Encourage frequent and effective communication throughout the organization to ensure that employees are accurately informed. Foster a workplace environment consistent with the values and mission of the organization.
- 10+ years broad and progressive human resources experience including direct involvement with senior business executives in high-growth environments in organizations recognized for best practices in HR. Must have depth of HR experience with exposure to best-in-class HR practices.
- Experience in the biotech/pharmaceuticals industry supporting Research and/or Development organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to design and integrate successful business solutions.
- Ability to create, align and execute successful, large-scale change management initiatives.
- Experience working in highly cross functional and integrated business models.
- Experience building and enabling high-performance teams.
- Experience in handling a wide range of employee relations issues.
- Must have a demonstrated track record of good judgment working autonomously.
- Direct experience in other HR functional areas (i.e. Talent Management, Talent Acquisition, C&B, etc.).
- Previous work experience in an R&D role.
- Experience in both large and small companies.