Duquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
Background & Job Description:
The position of Director of Innovation offers an excellent opportunity to be part of a collaborative leadership team that will establish the strategic vision for and lead the development of the Duquesne Innovation Center. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, this individual must have obvious executive presence, demonstrated leadership abilities, emotional intelligence, and diplomacy skills. Serving as a trusted advisor to the executive leadership and innovation catalyst and strategic innovation supporter to the Duquesne business leaders, the ideal candidate will embrace creative engineering challenges and ambiguity while focusing on results.
- Work with the executive leadership team to develop and foster a culture of innovation at the Company through both structured programs and crowd-sourcing activities.
- Identify and maintain a portfolio of innovation opportunities (in support of business initiatives and strategy) through continuously analyzing emerging market trends, market disruptions, and internally generated ideas.
- Work with the business to (i.) develop business cases for identified innovation opportunities, (ii.) prioritize those opportunities and (iii.) assist in obtaining funding through the business planning process.
- Support execution activities by providing governance oversight and executive level reporting together with ensuring benefits/ value realization reporting.
- Serve as the principle liaison with external third parties such as universities and industry trade groups.
- Establish KPIs that measure the effectiveness of the Company’s innovation programs and implement lessons learned.
- Lead and support the organization through change management strategies to foster a culture of acceptance and collaborative change.
- Define and apply a standard methodology to all program projects to effectively and efficiently drive successful completion of projects.
- Work with the CFO to develop the appropriate innovation metrics for the business to monitor measure its efforts.
- Roles at this level require a university/college degree. Higher level education such as a masters degree, PhD, or certifications is normally required.
- Proven leadership experience with a large scope is required. At least 10 years of prior management experience is required.
- A minimum of ten years’ experience as a corporate strategic program developer with a focus on innovation.
- Experience developing and leading large-scale programs and developing associated metrics.
- Product/Service development experience preferred.
- Relevant work experience in a regulated utility industry is preferred. Relevant industry experience to be successful in the given role is typically 15years.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a range of internal and external stakeholders a plus.
The ability to effectively communicate and advocate change across the organization; strong analytical skills to identify innovation opportunities that support business initiatives and are in line with industry trends; the ability to professionally challenge established processes and leverage previous experiences to influence key stakeholders; the ability to collaborate and establish strong business relationships; be an agile thinker and have the ability to adapt quickly to changes, and possess an entrepreneurial mindset and strong consultative skills.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light's commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.